QPR Report Twitter Feed

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Managerial Comments

-
QPR OFFIICAL SITE
WE WERE PUNISHED
Ian Holloway believes Luton's two goal victory margin flattered the home side - as the Hoops tasted defeat for the first time since Boxing Day.
A goal in each half from Markus Heikkinen and Steve Howard saw Rangers' four match mini unbeaten run come to an end.
"I thought 2-0 flattered them. I felt we were pushing in the second half, but the second goal killed us. They were very physical but got the job done.
"You have to take your chances at this level - we didn't and they did and that was the difference."We had six shots in the first half and didn't score any.''
Ollie also bemoaned his sides' poor defending - especially for the first goal.
"We're conceding far too many goals."We were punished for sloppy defending. Gaz didn't push up for the first goal and you can't afford to make errors like that. He's held his hands up and it's over now.''
But Ollie was keen to heap praise on Marc Nygaard, who was a constant threat both on the deck and in the air after entering the fray as a second half substitute.
"I really wanted to start Marc, but his recent injury problems meant we felt it would be better for him to come off the bench."He came on and caused them all sort of problems - more than justifying his place in the squad after injury.''
*Due to circumstances beyond our control there is no interview with Ian Holloway on QPR World. http://www.qpr.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10373~772063,00.html


SPORTING LIFE
'BUNG' BOSSES DISCUSS CONTROVERSY
Mike Newell and Ian Holloway, whose recent revelations have re-ignited the debate about 'bungs' in football, discussed the problem before Luton's 2-0 win over QPR at Kenilworth Road.
Goals in either half from Marcus Heikkinen and Steve Howard saw Luton climb above QPR to claim ninth spot in the Championship table.
Luton boss Newell, who sparked off the debate by claiming that he had been offered money during transfer deals, said: "I spoke to Ian before the game to say I appreciated someone else coming out and backing me up because really it's been a long time coming."
But Holloway later denied backing up Newell's claims, pointing out that his comments related to a transfer issue four years ago.
Asked if he supported Newell's words, the Loftus Road boss said: "I support Ian Holloway, I work for QPR and support QPR.
"I like Mike Newell but not today because he beat me. He's an honest fellow and can only talk about his experiences."
Holloway added: "How can I put this, if you are on a beach we are talking about one grain of sand on the whole beach.
"It's dangerous for people who write stories to create a false impression of what the game is all about.
"I spoke about this four years ago and as far as I'm concerned it's old news."
Holloway said he had told his then chairman Nick Blackburn how a deal for a player who was supposed to be available on a free transfer had then seen the involvement of a fee.
He added: "I haven't come out and said I'm fully backing Mike. Agents are a massive part of the game and 99.9% of them do a fantastic job for their clients.
"I'm gobsmacked that this is such a big story and if you ask Mike I think he'll say he's gobsmacked too."
Newell earlier said: "I didn't bring up bungs. I was asked in conversation if I'd been offered money and I said I had - I didn't say bungs.
"That's what made the headlines but I want this to be the end of it all for me now.
"It's up to the authorities now and I get the feeling they share my frustrations. It's definitely not the lost cause everyone's making it out to be."
Luton's play-off prospects are by no means a lost cause and they could point to further disallowed efforts from Howard and substitute Warren Feeney.
On the game Newell said: "I think that's the first win of the year for us if I'm not mistaken and it's a pleasing result."
Holloway said: "I'm bitterly disappointed. We did a lot of things right apart from put the ball in the net and that's what gets you results."
http://www.sportinglife.com/football/cc_championship/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/06/01/21/SOCCER_Luton_2nd_Nightlead.html&TEAMHD=nationwide1


LUTON OFFICIAL SITE
JEWELL HAPPY WITH 'DECENT PERFORMANCE'
Mike Newell was happy with his side's performance against QPR
Hatters boss Mike Newell celebrated his side's first win of 2006 by describing the victory over QPR as a 'decent performance.'
Markus Heikkinen and Steve Howard both found the target for Luton as QPR's four match unbeaten league run was brought to an end in some style.
QPR had a lot of the ball but I thought we stood up well
Mike Newell on QPR victory

Luton actually had the ball in the net four times throughout the game as Howard and Warren Feeney both had efforts ruled out and Newell believes his side should have won the game by a more comfortable margin.
"It might have been more than two decent goals," said Newell. "It was a decent performance but I thought the foul by Steve Howard was a bit harsh to be honest. It has gone out of the game now where you can't compete for the ball when it is up in the air.
"As for the second goal which was ruled out, I thought it was because Warren was standing behind the goalkeeper but the referee's assistant said that it was Howie who was offside. It looked like a decent goal but there is nothing you can do."
"QPR had a lot of the ball but I though we stood up well. At the end of the day it was a decent result from the lads."
The Luton squad are now set to take a short break to Portugal as the club take a mini-break from league action with no game planned until next Tuesday when The Hatters make the trip to Sheffield Wednesday.
Newell added: "I think the lads have earned a break if you look at the results they have achieved during the first part of the season. It will be the last chance we get to go for a break between now and the end of the season.
"There is no group bonding needed within the squad but I think the lads have earned themselves a break for a few days and hopefully they can relax and recharge the batteries."
http://www.lutontown.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Match/ManagerDetail/0,,10372~772019,00.html

Blog Archive