QPR Report Twitter Feed

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

A Painful Phrase from "Super Sub" David Fairclough! "...saw us clinch the title from under the nose of QPR"

-
David Fairclough - HOW BOB PAISLEY LEFT ME IN TEARS David Fairclough 14 February 2006

As the man who gifted me the opportunity to fulfil my childhood dream of playing for Liverpool Football Club, I have a lot to thank Bob Paisley for. The most successful manager in Liverpool’s history, his achievements will never be forgotten and in this week, 10 years since he died, those memories are now being rekindled. In his role as assistant manager to Bill Shankly he was seen as the hard man of the partnership so I found it surprising when he would take me aside to give me advice as I progressed through the junior ranks. He possibly spotted some potential because within 16 months of him becoming manager he gave me my debut against Middlesbrough as a stunned 18-year old. To then be part of the squad that won the League title and UEFA Cup in 1975/76, was an incredible time. It was only Bob's second season in charge. The run of games at the back end of that season which saw us clinch the title from under the nose of QPR were especially memorable culminating with the title clinching game at Wolves. Then there were the games with Barcelona and Club Bruges that secured our European success of that year. They are very rarely recalled, even though they were two of Liverpool's all-time great European performances.
....http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/NG151462060214-1731.htm

Blog Archive