QPR Report Twitter Feed

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Bircham and Bignot Speaking (Kilburn Times)

-
Ben Kosky, Kilburn Times
Bignot: I'm not leaving yet

MARCUS Bignot insists his QPR career is far from over - despite being put up for sale as part of a major summer clearout.The Rangers right-back was one of eight players transfer-listed on Friday...- but Bignot, who is still contracted to QPR for another year, refuses to accept that his departure is inevitable.S
peaking after Sunday's 2-1 defeat at Reading, Bignot told the Times: "My message to the supporters is: that was not my last game for QPR."It'll only be my last game when the manager turns round and tells me I've got no future at the club - and the conversations I've had with Gary Waddock don't suggest that."When I spoke to him on Friday, he made me aware that there was a list being made public of players available for transfer."But he assured me that if I come back in pre-season and do well, he sees no reason why I shouldn't expect to be playing. That's going to be my attitude over the summer, to come back and give it a real good go."Leaving is the furthest thing from my mind. I've just bought a house in Buckinghamshire, only 20 minutes from the training ground and I'm looking forward to settling in and getting on with pre-season."The 31-year-old defender has little doubt that cost-cutting is the primary factor behind Rangers' decision to try and offload so many players, while acknowledging that they will consider offers for others.But Bignot also observed: "My wages aren't going to break anyone's bank balance. Whoever's supposedly coming in to replace me, I'd love to see what money they're on."If the club are struggling financially and an offer does come in, maybe we'll sit down and consider it, but it'd have to be right for me."You can be forced out and I'm not young and na*ve enough to think that everything's rosy. I'm professional and I think I've remained professional throughout this news."It's not nice when you feel the club doesn't want you and maybe they could have handled it better but, until my relationship with the manager changes, I'll continue as I have done."It's going to cost a lot of money to get rid of players who have got a year or two years left, but you'd best make sure they go because otherwise you've got eight unhappy players sitting around the club."I'm getting mixed messages - I hear the club's cutting costs and then I hear we're going for the play-offs next season, which doesn't add up, so there's a lot of uncertainty ahead."The list of available players is also a savage verdict on Ian Holloway's transfer policies of last summer - four of his seven close season signings are now viewed as surplus to requirements.Evatt, who cost Rangers £150,000 from Chesterfield, had already been transfer-listed by Holloway by January and Moore was earmarked for loan prior to the manager's suspension.Doherty, on the other hand, quickly became a supporters' favourite, but the leg injury he picked up at Plymouth in November saw him sidelined and he was loaned to Yeovil by caretaker manager Gary Waddock.Waddock stated: "These decisions have to be made for the sake of the club as a whole. After the summer, I want this to be a new era and I have to start planning for that now."
http://www.kilburntimes.co.uk/content/camden/kilburntimes/sport/story.aspx?brand=KLBTOnline&category=sportfootball&tBrand=northlondon24&tCategory=sportklbt&itemid=WeED03%20May%202006%2014%3A22%3A11%3A997


Kilburn Times - Bircham's Column
MONDAY was our last day at training this season and it was strange saying goodbye to everyone, not knowing if they're going to be back next season or not.It's the weirdest situation I've ever been in during my career. I don't know whether I'll be there for pre-season training and it's out of my hands because I've been told the club want a fee for me.There's certainly going to be a strange atmosphere for the lads on the list if they do come back, knowing the club don't really want them but can't afford to pay them off.A lot can happen in the next three months or so. I'm going to go away and turn my phone off so that, if there are any bids, no-one can get hold of me!Like everyone, I'm feeling relieved the season's over - again, luck didn't go our way at Reading on Sunday.We played well to get back into the game at 1-1, then we missed a chance to go in front and I thought we'd done enough to get a draw.Furs really deserved his goal, given the horrendous luck he's had in the last few games and Jake Cole came on at half-time and made two or three good saves.But it was Reading's party and I don't think the referee wanted to spoil it, so he gave them a very dubious penalty and that was that.It goes without saying that it's disappointing to finish as low as we did in the league, but the season's included a few high points as well.The first week was good - especially the Sheffield United game, when I scored the first goal - and the return match at Bramall Lane was enjoyable as well, getting our first away win under Waddo.Captaining the team for the first time was a real honour for me and whatever happens now, I know I'll be back at QPR at some point.

http://www.kilburntimes.co.uk/content/camden/kilburntimes/sport/story.aspx?brand=KLBTOnline&category=sportfootball&tBrand=northlondon24&tCategory=sportklbt&itemid=WeED03%20May%202006%2014%3A18%3A39%3A543

Blog Archive