QPR Report Twitter Feed

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Gillingham 0 QPR 1 - The QPR & Gillingham Perspectives

Gillingham Official Site: - Gillingham 0 QPR 1
The Gills lost out by a single goal to their Coca-Cola Championship opponents in a pre-season friendly at Priestfield.A 69th minute goal from Ray Jones seperated the two sides as the Gills wore their new Blue, White and Red home kit for the first time.Striker Dean McDonald had the first real chance for the Gills in the 20th minute. His one-two with Matty Jarvis saw him through on goal but big QPR defender Danny Shittu intercepted as McDonald was about to shoot.Midfielder Nick Ward came close to breaking the deadlock for QPR in the 23rd minute, but his shot was pushed wide for a corner by Gillingham's trilliast goalkeeper, Raymond Homoet.Irish under-21 striker Gary Mulligan forced a save from Welsh interntaional goalkeeper Paul Jones in the 30th minute when his header met a Sean Clohessy cross.QPR captain Kevin Gallen broke through the Gills defence in the 32nd minute but his shot was saved by Netherlands Antilles international goalkeeper Homoet.Jarvis was a constant threat to the QPR defence and he forced a good save from Jones in the 40th minute with a cross after beating two Rangers defenders.Clint Easton was fouled a minute later by Marcus Bignot and referee Fred Graham booked the QPR right-back.Bignot was replaced by Stefan Bailey in the 44th minute.Congo striker Guylain Ndumbu-Nsungu was introduced at the start of the second-half as a replacement for McDonald. During the interval, QPR replaced Ward, Andrew Howell, Marc Nygaard, Shittu and Lee Cook with Armel Tchakounte, Matthew Rose, Ray Jones, Pat Kanyuka and Scott Donnelly respectively.The Gills started off the second-half well and in the 50th minute, Jarvis' shot, from an Easton corner, was forced wide by defender Damion Stewart.In the 58th minute, the Gills had a great chance to break the deadlock.
Flynn's throw was flicked on by Bentley to Mulligan, but the striker rifled over into the empty Rainham End stand.Two further Gillingham substitutions were made in the 59th minute when Brent Sancho replaced fellow Trinidad and Tobago international defender Ian Cox and Welsh international midfielder Andrew Crofts replaced BentleyJarvis had another good chance in the 62nd minute but his cross, after beating his market, was again cleared for a corner by Stewart.Midfielder Crofts picked up a cut in the 66th minute and returned to the pitch after treatment in the number 34 'blood' shirt.
QPR broke the deadlock in the 69th minute when Martin Rowlands' cross was sent towards goal by Ray Jones and trickled over the line at the Town End goal.Crofts came close to equalising within two minutes of the restart, but his header, from a Jarvis cross, went inches wide.Midfielders Alan Pouton and a triallist called Karim replaced Easton and Flynn in the 73rd minute whilst Shabazz Baidoo replaced Rowlands a minute later.Baidoo had a chance to double the lead in the 80th minute but he mishit his shot straight at Homoet.Frannie Collin replaced Jarvis in the 83rd minute.Defender Leon Johnson picked up a knock in the 88th minute and Craig Stone came on for the centre-half.The Gills travel to Hayes Lane on Tuesday to play Ryman Premier Division side Bromley in a pre-season friendly that kicks-off at 19:30.
Gillingham: Homoet, Clohessy, Cox (Sancho 59), Johnson (Stone 88), Jackman, Jarvis (Collin 83), Flynn (Karim 73), Bentley (Crofts 59), Easton (Pouton 73), Mulligan, McDonald (Ndumbu-Nsungu HT).Sub Not Used: Beckwith.
QPR: P Jones, Bignot (Bailey 44), Stewart, Shittu (Kanyuka HT), Howell (Rose HT), Ainsworth, Rowlands (Baidoo 74), Ward (Tchakounte HT), Cook (Donnelly HT), Nygaard (R Jones), Gallen.Sub Not Used: Cole.http://www.gillinghamfootballclub.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10416~870994,00.html


Gary Waddock praised the first half performance of Nick Ward, after the R's beat Gillingham 1-0 at The Priestfield Stadium.
The Australian midfielder played his first 45 minutes for the R's, as Waddock's men made it two wins on the spin in pre-season.
"Nick did very well in the first half and almost capped his display with a wonderful goal,'' Waddock told qpr.co.uk.
"To be fair the keeper has pulled off a wonderful save and credit has to go to him for that.
"Nick has settled in well and we're all really looking forward to seeing him in action when the Championship kicks off on August 5th.''
In a match disrputed by substitutions, Rangers won the game courtesy of Ray Jones' 70th minute winner.
"I was pleased with the first half. We played some good football; our passing and movement was good, so from that point of view I'm delighted.
"The changes disrupted our play in the second half - but we've won the game, kept a clean sheet and that's obviously very encouraging.''
Rangers travel to Italy for the final chapter of their pre-season campaign tomorrow and Waddock is looking to use the trip as a team bonding exercise.
"The core of our squad will travel and although the games are important, working on our fitness and team spirit will be the priorities.
"We'll be training twice a day and aim to come back with the batteries fully charged for the first match of the season up at Burnley.''

A fortuitous winner from Ray Jones sealed an otherwise drab affair at The Priestfield Stadium.
Jones bagged the only goal of the game on 70 minutes, in a match disrupted by wholesale changes from both sides in the second period.
In truth, the R's did just enough to warrant victory, on a day when Nick Ward made his first start for the Club and Marc Nygaard and Dan Shittu made their first appearances of the pre-season campaign.
Despite decent chances for debutant Ward and skipper Kevin Gallen, it was goalless at the break.
Gallen went closest to breaking the deadlock just after the half hour, rifling a powerful shot in to the grasp of Gills keeper Raymond Homoet.
And in a half in which Rangers enjoyed the majority of possession, Ward forced Homoet into a terrific diving save at his near post.
Earlier, Ward had to wait just one minute and 42 seconds for his first touch in a QPR shirt, cushioning a neat touch into the path of Damion Stewart.
But it was Gareth Ainsworth who provided the first moment of magic, turning his marker on a sixpence with an outrageous piece of close control on the right touchline.
Rangers were calling the shots early on, and after fine interplay between Gallen, Marcus Bignot and Lee Cook, Martin Rowlands dragged his right foot shot well wide.
The visitors continued to enjoy the lion's share of possession and when Ward found Cook with a fantastically disguised left footed pass, the wingers' cross narrowly evaded the onrushing Nygaard.
The returning Shittu came to Rangers' rescue when Dean McDonald broke through the last line of the R's defence on 18 minutes, and from the resultant corner, Paul Jones gathered safely.
Ward was improving as the half wore on and after being involved in a fine Rangers counter-attack, he shot wide from the edge of the box.
The Aussie midfielder seemed certain to open his account for the R's on 22 minutes, but after a perfectly weighted through ball from Cook, his cushioned right footed drive from eight yards forced Raymond Homoet into a fantastic full length save.
Gallen was unlucky not to put the R's ahead on 32 minutes, when from a long punt forward by Jones, he shot straight into the grasp of Homoet.
The half ended on a sour note for Bignot, who just moments after picking up a yellow card for a rash challenge on Clint Easton, was forced from the fray with a suspected hamstring injury.
Stefan Bailey replaced him at right back, as the half drew to a quiet conclusion.Waddock rang the changes at the break, with Ward and Shittu among the seven players replaced.
The substitutions seemed to disrupt the R's pattern of play, with Gillingham creating the first chance of the half on 49 minutes courtesy of Clint Easton's in-swinging cross which narrowly evaded the Gills front-men.
Gary Mulligan's volley on the turn awoke a poor home crowd, before Gills boss Ronnie Jepson made a double substitution on the hour.
Buoyed by the introduction of fans' favourite Brent Sancho, Gillingham created two chances in as many minutes soon after, both of which were cleared to safety by Pat Kanyuka.
Rangers' first opportunity of the half arrived on 65 minutes, when from a quick throw in on the right flank, Gallen combined well with Ainsworth.
His back post cross seemed destined to find Ray Jones, but Homoet plucked the ball from the air and left Jones pole-axed by the far post.
Jones soon made amends though, seemingly getting the last touch to Rowlands' wide free-kick on 70 minutes, as the R's finally broke the deadlock.
As the ball tricked goalwards, the entire Gillingham defence seemed to go AWOL, and Homoet was powerless to prevent the ball from squeezing in at his far post.
There was certainly an element of luck to Rangers' breakthrough, but few can deny Jones deserved it, after another heartening display from the teenage striker.
Shabazz Baidoo should've put the result beyond any doubt on 80 minutes, but with the goal at his mercy, he shot straight at Homoet, when a more accomplished finish would surely have reaped greater dividends.
Undeterred, the pacy striker kept knocking on the door and was unlucky not to beat Homoet with a piercing left footed drive from an acute angle.
Gillingham: Homoet, Jackman, Flynn (Karim 72), Cox (Sancho 60), Bentley (Crofts 60), Mulligan, McDonald (Ndunbu-Nsungu 46), Easton (Pouton 72), Johnson (Stone 87), Clohessy, Jarvis (Collin 82).
Subs: Beckwith.
QPR: P Jones, Bignot (Bailey 44), Howell (Rose 46), Stewart, Shittu (Kanyuka 46), Ainsworth, Rowlands (Baidoo 72), Ward (Donnelly 46), Cook (Tchakounte 46), Nygaard (R Jones 46), Gallen.
Subs: Cole.
Bookings: Bignot 41
Sending Offs:
Goals: R Jones 70
Attendance: 1,472


From Nico http://www.pbase.com/qpr/gillingham

Photos from Gillingham Rivals

[And from just over two years ago, from a "real" Championship game betwee Gillingham & GPR: Telegraph-
Friday August 27th Gillingham (0) 0 QPR (1) 1
Gillingham: Banks, Ashby, Cox, Hope, Jarvis (Sidibe 71), Hessenthaler, Smith, Spiller, Hills, Roberts, Byfield (Agyemang 63).Subs Not Used: Brown, Leon Johnson, Perpetuini.Booked: Hessenthaler.
QPR: Day, Bignot, Forbes (Edghill 58), Santos, Padula, Rowlands, Bean, Johnson (Bircham 73), Cook (Cureton 73), Gallen, Furlong.Subs Not Used: Cole, McLeod.Goals: Bean 29.Att: 7,391Ref: M Thorpe (Suffolk).

Blog Archive