QPR Report Twitter Feed

Monday, September 11, 2006

Holloway on Penrice's Hoped-for Arrival...and on Waddock

-
This is Plymouth -11 September 2006
ARGYLE BOSS RUES MISSED CHANCES


Ian Holloway admitted Argyle paid the price for not taking their chances against his former club Queens Park Rangers.
The Pilgrims had to settle for a point as a 31st minute goal from Sylvan Ebanks-Blake cancelled out an early strike from Dexter Blackstock.
Holloway said: "I was disappointed we went behind, but I didn't think we got started in the first 20 minutes.
"I asked them to hit our centre-forwards within four or five passes because I think we look a good team when we do that. I didn't say hit them in one pass.
"But I felt they caused their back four trouble all afternoon, to be honest.
"Unfortunately, those chances that we are mssing at the moment are costing us, and we need to nail down our set pieces.
....."Unfortunately, at the minute, we are not getting what we deserve.
"I think the lads have got to believe in themselves and be a little bit more clincal," added Holloway.
The Pilgrims' boss hopes the imminent arrival of Gary Penrice will improve that aspect.
Penrice, a former striker with Bristol Rovers, Watford, Aston Villa and QPR, has worked as a coach with Holloway for all of his managerial career
.
QPR are now ready to do a deal that will see the pair reunited at Home Park this week.
Penrice will work closely with Argyle's five strikers - Nick Chadwick, Ebanks-Blake, Barry Hayles, Reuben Reid and Cherno Samba
.
Holloway said: "If you look at all of them, they are a mixed bag. They have all got different strengths.
"When I moved Haylesy out on the left today, we almost need him too much up the middle, so I have got to work with these kids.
"Hopefully, we can sort it out for Gary Penrice to come down because he's very good with centre-forwards.
"They need a little bit of TLC - tender loving care - and a little bit of knowledge, and I'm sure we can make some of these really tasty. I think Reuben Reid has got a lot to offer and Chadwick, for me, is a very good player.
"He was unfortunate not to be in the team today but he took it in the right way. I just felt we needed Sylvan out there."
This is Plymouth


This is Plymouth - 11 September 2006 - OLLIE AND WODDOCK CLASH ON TOUCHLINE

Ian Holloway shook hands with Gary Waddock, his successor as Queens Park Rangers manager, before and after the Championship clash on Saturday.
But it was clear from Holloway's comments in his post-match Press conference he had little time for Waddock.
Holloway was suspended on full-pay by QPR chairman Gianni Paladini in February, after expressing an interest in the managerial vacancy at Leicester City.
It was Waddock, who was taken on by Holloway as youth team coach, who stepped in to replace him.
And Holloway clearly believes Waddock, a former QPR team-mate, was not as supportive to him as he could have been.
There were a couple of occasions on Saturday when there were heated exchanges between them on the touchline.
Holloway said: "Our toes were almost on the edge of the pitch, weren't they? I thought his players fouled my players far too much.
"The referee didn't see it half the time and didn't give any cards out, which is pretty ridiculous.
"At the end of the day, you are competitors and you are trying to win, but there are things, for me, that should be said, and should have been said at the time that I lost my job, that weren't.
"And there were some things said that were very upsetting from my point of mine.
"I have already told him about that and I didn't carry it into today's game. I shook his hand at the start and I shook his hand at the end, so is there a problem?
"I have never been rude in my life."
The Pilgrims' boss added: "Shall I tell you exactly what brassed me off about it? He (Waddock) said 'I'm going to change the style of football overnight'.
"I put it down to a tad of inexperience, probably. But it wasn't said just once. It was said over and over again.

"I don't think that was what should have been said about the job I did in the circumstances I had to deal with, having given the fella a job in the first place."
Holloway admitted he had felt tense before the clash with his former club.
He said: "To be fair, I'm glad today is over. Sometimes my emotions are what make me, but they can also break me. I have to be very careful.
"I'm going to put it in horse racing terms, I shouldn't be sweating up in the paddock before I run the race.
"I have to say, I was probably a little bit too lathered up for a horse of my experience."
This is Plymouth

Blog Archive