QPR Report Twitter Feed

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Nostalgia! Ian Holloway's Q&A From a Year Ago

-
QPR Official Site - October 25, 2005 - "Ollie Answers"
Ian Holloway spent Tuesday afternoon answering your questions in a live Q&A session on QPR World....Here is a brief rundown of the topics covered.

What's going on with Richard Langley?
I didn't want to lose him and I'm the one who brought him back because I believe he will be, in the future, a fantastic ball playing midfielder.
I want him to be able to go forward and back as I want the right balance. Chelsea have got people like Frank Lampard who can do both jobs.
Richard isn't as fit as he should be both physically and mentally. Sometimes he can be a bit hesitant and that's not the Richard I know.
He had a slight calf strain before the Preston game so he couldn't take part, but he had been involved before then and has been on the bench since.

Can you play Langley and Rowlands together?
There's no reason why I can't see it in the future. I think Rowlands is sadly missed at the moment. He gives us balance and closes better than anyone I've got when we haven't got the ball. Sometimes my other midfielders don't do that.
My choices in midfield are something to be proud of. As long as I've got one or two of them on the bench they will put pressure on those out there.

Why do you make substitutions so late on in games?
I wanted to bring Georges Santos on the other day against Plymouth, but by the time I got him on there wasn't any time left as the fourth official had told me a bit of a porkie.
If we're getting back in the game and creating chances, then I like to change it and I've got good help in my coaches.
A lot of the team who is playing didn't have a complete full season. Dean Sturridge is trying to get fit by playing games, which isn't ideal.
I've never picked a team that I don't believe is right for the team we are playing against. If it doesn't work I have to sit back and put my hands up and take responsibility.

Has Georges Santos got a clause in his contract that says he has to play?

No he hasn't, he's a fantastic war horse for us. He's been a great player for us, for nothing, but I think that's very unfair and harsh.
He does make mistakes and when he does they are glaring. But I think he's performing above some of the others I've got here at the moment.

Do you get a stiff neck talking to all the tall players we've got now?

I make sure they all sit down first! But I am trying to increase the size of my players. Our back line used to be far too small. You've only got to look at the Premiership boys to see how big they are.
In the modern day game you have to win the ball in both boxes. Peter Crouch has proved that you can have the height and a great touch.

Is there a possibility that we could play a more attacking midfield?
It depends who we're playing, who's fit, the report I get on the opposition and it depends on the week we're having on the training ground. I need a creative midfield but they need to be able to defend as well.
You have to be fit to play the way I want, which is high tempo and a lot of closing down. Having just seen the video of our game against Norwich, I must say I thought our passing game was very good.
I think Tommy Doherty will get better, but this is all about having options and being unpredictable for your opposition.

What is your footballing philosophy and have you ever sent out a team to express it?

I'd want to play similar to Chelsea but in Arsenal's formation. Vieira used to go forward for them but they're lacking that now. I love the way they get the ball down and pass it.
You're only as strong as your weakest link and sometimes you break down, but I think we're getting better.

Paul Furlong hasn't really been on form, why are you persevering with him?
The fact is he hasn't scored as many, but his link play is still there. He was hated when he came here and then became a legend last season. But for me he's proving irreplaceable.
If Swansea can turn down £1m for Lee Trundell how am I going to replace Paul Furlong?
Yes we need to move past Paul Furlong eventually, but I need to have everybody fit. Have we got enough strength in depth? No, I don't think so.
Scott Donnelly shouldn't have to be playing on a regular basis at the age of 16, I'll bet there isn't someone that age anywhere else in the Championship playing at that age.
It's the most expensive place on the field and look at how much we've had to spend on it. If Furlong was still 26 how much would he be worth?
I'll drop players as I see fit, and I'll stand and fall on my decisions.

Do you feel under pressure?
That's part of the job, but I don't like it when I hear people saying not to believe me because I'm just trying to get a new contract. I don't control the board I just pick the side.
I've had four chairman, two Chief Executives and now I don't have one. But at the end of the day, QPR fans still have a club and that's one thing I'm proud of - totally.
I have got the hump from the weekend because I believe certain things aren't right, there are rumours. But this will all take care of itself. You'll all know what happened, it will all be there. All you have to worry about is judging our players fairly.
If I had to leave today I'd be very proud of what my team and staff, past and present, have achieved.

Who has been a major factor for this club? It's everyone who buys a ticket - so don't leave us. If you don't agree with team selection, no problem. But don't pick sides in an argument you don't know anything about.

Will we see any players coming in or out in the next transfer window?
The board are trying to sort out all the bills at the moment. But I've been told I can look for some signings in the January transfer window, I just don't know how much I've got.
As for letting people go, there are some who aren't happy and have been out on loan and might not like having to fight for a place here.

What is the situation with Shabazz Baidoo?
We had the chance to send him to Lincoln, but you can't loan scholars out. When he's 17 we can make him a pro and he can go out on loan then. He's working on his finishing and improving very quickly.
It's hard to say how close he is, but that's up to him. We nicked him from Arsenal but he's been brought up our way and he seems very positive.
There was a rumour that West Ham wanted him but that was just a rumour. I spoke to Alan Pardew and he assured me it wasn't the case.

What's the latest on your future with the club?
Gianni said he wanted to give some stability to the club, but I feel the most important thing is that the board get sorted and I get some direction regarding the future because that's what matters to the fans.
My focus is on the team more than myself. If the board wants to talk to my agent that's fine, but I want to put that on the back burner. I'm more than happy to work for the new board in the same way that I was happy to work for the last board.
As long as whoever is in charge is happy to pick up the baton and run with it, I'm happy to work for them.


Do you want to increase the size of the squad and in what position?
I've got some loan signings lined up if people get injured and we're also looking at some targets. The most I've ever spent was borrowed from a fan and that was £250,000

Do you think Marc Nygaard can be a replacement for Furlong eventually?
Well he's a different sort of player to Furs, it may be that I need two players to replace him when that day comes. But he's a great player, he's fresh and he's hungry.

What did you think of the booing directed at Georges Santos last Saturday?
Some players are liked and some aren't, but I don't understand it. If they were booing when he scored then they have a serious problem.

What's the latest with the loan signings?
Adam Miller and Aaron Brown have been sent back but Marcus Bean is still at Swansea and is doing very well. His contract is up at the end of the season but for now I think it's good for him to be there getting some experience.

Have you ever considered watching the game from the Director's Box to get a different view?I have done it before, but I'm a bit superstitious and we've never done well when I'm up there. Plus I feel that the team need the encouragement of the coaches being down there on the touch line.
QPR Official Site

Blog Archive