QPR Report Twitter Feed

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Ex-QPR Defender Chris Plummer Retiring from Football

-
BBC - Posh star Plummer quits football
Plummer joined Peterborough from Barnet in September 2004
Peterborough defender Chris Plummer has announced his retirement from football.
The 30-year-old had recently joined Conference club Rushden & Diamonds on loan, but his contract has been cancelled by mutual consent.
Plummer made 180 senior appearances in spells at QPR, Bristol Rovers, Barnet, Peterborough, Grays and Rushden.
"It feels right to move into something different, and I am looking to go into the financial services industry," he told Peterborough's website.
"A few years ago, I dropped from QPR to Barnet and it was a bit of an eye-opener with regards to salary.
"I had a look at it then and it interested me, so I started to get some qualifications under my belt, which I continued to do whilst at Peterborough.
"People ask me 'Why are you packing it in at 30?' but after a couple of loan spells in the Conference, I didn't really want to continue that trend.
"It was a good opportunity for Peterborough and a good settlement for both parties."
Director of football Barry Fry added: "Chris was a wonderful servant to this club, he is moving in a different direction and everyone at Peterborough would like to wish him the best of luck." BBC

Peterborough Official Site
Peterborough United centre back Chris Plummer has announced his retirement from the game and the ex-Barnet defender is set to begin a new career in Financial Services.
The 30-year-old spent a short spell on-loan at Rushden and Diamonds, but his contract was cancelled by mutual consent. 'I am 30-years-old and have been in the game since I left school. I have had a lot of ups and downs during that time.
'It feels right to move into something different and I am looking to go into the financial services industry. A few years ago I dropped from Queens Park Rangers to Barnet and it was a bit of an eye opener with regards to salary. I had a look at it then and it interested me. I had no real qualifications or anything, so I started then to get some under my belt, which I continued to do whilst at Peterborough. I am looking forward to the challenge.

'If you ask 90% of professional footballers what they want to do when their career ends, they wouldn't be able to answer you. Most young lads want to be footballers when they are youngsters and I have been lucky enough to follow that dream - maybe not as I had it in my head, I obviously dreamt about playing in the FA Cup final at Wembley.

'As you reach 30 and beyond, you have to make a decision on what you want to do next and I feel I have made that decision. I always tried to give 100%, be enthusiastic and every time I stepped over the white line I did my best. I wasn't the most natural of players, but I think I made up for that in other areas.

'People say to me, 'why are you packing it in at 30', but after leaving Peterborough it was difficult for me. They are having exciting times at London Road and I would have loved to have been a part of that, but that is not to be. After a couple of loan spells in the Conference, I didn't really want to continue that trend.

'I think it was a good opportunity for Peterborough and it was a good settlement for both parties. I can now do what I want to do next. I would like to thank all of the fans for their support. Most of the fans at all of the clubs I have been at have always been good to me.

'I was a 100%er and hopefully that is how I will be remembered. When I had my illness earlier in the year, I received a lot of support from Peterborough fans and from Barnet and Queens' Park Rangers fans and that was very much appreciated,' Plummer said.

Posh Director of Football Barry Fry said: 'Chris always gave his all whenever he played. We had a chat and agreed to cancel his contract by mutual consent. He is not going to carry on playing, he is going to move in a different direction and everyone at Peterborough United would like to wish him the best of luck. He was a wonderful servant to this football club.'

The Posh World subscribers can hear the full telephone interview with Chris here.
Peterborough

Blog Archive