QPR Report Twitter Feed

Friday, January 12, 2007

Gallen - Holloway Came Close to Signing Gallen in November (on Loan)

-
This is Plymouth - ARGYLE MAKE TREBLE SWOOP
PLYMOUTH Argyle have completed a triple transfer swoop with the signing of Hungarian pair Krisztian Timar and Peter Halmosi, and Queens Park Rangers striker Kevin Gallen.
All three have been included in the Pilgrims' squad for the Championship away game against Norwich City at Carrow Road tomorrow (3pm).
And Argyle still have one 'significant' offer on the table for another tall striker, according to chairman Paul Stapleton.
It was delayed by 30 minutes because Gallen travelled to Plymouth by train and it did not arrive on time.
The 31-year-old will spend the rest of the season on loan with Argyle, but whether he extends his stay beyond then has not been decided.

Holloway knows all about Gallen having first been a team-mate of his, and later his manager, at QPR.
But the Pilgrims' boss did not know so much about Halmosi and Timar.
They were came strongly recommended by Argyle chief scout Gary Penrice
, who saw them in action on DVDs.
Timar, a former Hungarian under-18 international, had a two-day trial at Home Park last week and Holloway saw enough to convince him to offer the defender the chance of a move to England.
Holloway said: "Gary Penrice has been sifting through DVD after DVD after DVD and I have left him to it.
"I have got on with the running of the club and trying to get the best out of the players I have got here.
"I went up to see Gary at his home the other week and he said ?I think you should look at these two Ollie.
"I looked at the pair of them and I said 'yes, they will do' and we got them over, as simple as that.
"Gary is a very, very good judge and I told him what I was looking for. To be fair, I think he has come up trumps. That's what it's all about." Holloway added: "It's not easy when I have been busy and I can't travel and see people for myself.
"So Krisztian came over and he could only stay for two days but I loved what I saw. I think he's a winner, he's an uncompromising defender who wins his fair share of headers, he's very strong and he scores goals from set pieces.
"Peter is a proper player. I think he's of a much higher standard than we have been used to and I can't wait for the people of this city to see him play. He's a great addition."
Halmosi speaks only a little English but Timar told the press conference: "I would like to play always in my life in England.
"I think it's good for my style and I hope I can show my best for the team.
"I'm enjoying everything here in England and I hope I can play as soon as possible."
He added: "Having Akos Buzsaky at the club will make life easier for us. It's good."
Gallen has netted 97 goals in 404 first team matches for QPR, which makes him the sixth highest scorer in club history.
Holloway said: "Kevin has been my captain before at QPR. He hardly ever missed a match for me.
"So much so that everybody used to ask if it was in his contract that he had to play every week."

Holloway tried to sign Gallen before the deadline for loan signings in late November, but QPR boss John Gregory had a late change of heart.
Gallen has made 18 Championship appearances for the west London club this season, including nine starts, and scored one goal.
Holloway said: "I can play him wide right, centre midfield or up front.
"For us here, with the loss of Paul Wotton, I needed someone who can play a certain way.
"He prefers playing up front, he doesn't particularly like the other positions, but this fella has scored goals ever since he was knee high to a grasshopper, and he always will.
"It was too good an opportunity really for me to turn down," added the Pilgrims' boss.
Gallen said: "I'm delighted to be here. It's great to see Ian Holloway and there are other people who I know from my time at QPR.

"Des Bulpin was my youth team coach at QPR, so I have known him since I was 14 or 15, and then there are Tim Breacker and Gary Penrice, so it's just like old times.
"I hope I can show the same form as I did when Ollie was in charge of QPR.
"I can just sense this is a club where there is a lot of honesty," he continued.
"I have been at a club in London where there has been a lot of politics and back-stabbing, so I?m delighted to get a fresh start."
- This is Plymouth

Blog Archive