QPR Report Twitter Feed

Friday, January 26, 2007

Nice Words About Ex-QPR Midfielder Paul Murray by Former Manager

-
Nice words about Ex-QPR midfielder Paul Murray by a former Carlisle Manager. Murray was signed from Carlisle by Ray Wilkins for 300,000 pounds at the end of our 1996 Premiership relegation season. While at QPR he was capped by the England U-21 and England B team before getting some bad injuries and left the club on a free. After playing for Southampton and Oldham, he is currently back at Carlisle

News and Star - January 25, 2007 - I hope Paul has knee more bother
IF any player deserves a change of fortune, it’s Paul Murray.
I’m so pleased to see him back playing for Carlisle United again and this time I hope his knee problem has cleared up once and for all.
I’ll never forget my first day at Carlisle because it coincided with Paul’s first day as a YTS player.
I remember David Wilkes, the youth team coach, coming up to me with this young lad and saying, ‘Boss, this is Paul Murray and there’s something he would like to say to you’.
Then Paul looked me right in the eye and, as bold as brass, he said, ‘I’m going to play in the first team this season’. And he did.
I honestly thought Paul would go on to play for England.
When he moved to QPR he became an Under-21 and ‘B’ international, which shows they were seriously looking at him for the senior team.
But he has been one of the unluckiest players I have known with injuries – from the first injury at QPR through to the terrible time he has had with his knee from when he was playing in Portugal.
In terms of attitude, spirit, determination and effectiveness, I am probably Paul’s biggest fan.
I have tried to sign him a few times, even though I seem to have moved on not long after he followed me to various clubs!
He is 30 now and he appreciates how valuable his time on the pitch is. I keep in regular touch with him and his attitude is so refreshing.
Here’s hoping he now gets a long run of being injury-free.
News and Star

Carlisle Profile of Murray - Murray

Wikipedia on Paul Murray - Murray

QPR Net's Ron Norris 2002 Interview with Paul Murray - Interview

Blog Archive