QPR Report Twitter Feed

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Nostalgia: (2005) Pre-Season Hopes of Ian Holloway

-
[Within weeks of this interview, there were the various "events" at Loftus Road and the departure of QPR Chairman Bill Power to be replaced by Gianni Paladini. By the end of the season, Ian Holloway was gone; and 18 months on from the interview, QPR are struggling against relegation]


PFA Give Me Football
"In the Hot Seat" Ian Holloway - QPR
By Ian Clarkson 02-August-05


Ian Holloway can't wait for the season to start and hopes are high at Loftus Road after a glut of signings. The financial picture in Shepherd's Bush looks far healthier and their first season back in the Championship saw them finish mid-table and re-establish themselves at that level. However, Holloway expects them to push on even further this season although they have a tough start with a visit to newly-promoted Hull on Saturday. They follow that up by hosting Ipswich and Sheffield United and Holloway wants to hit the ground running. And they look to be coming into form at just the right time after they beat Premiership opposition in the form of Birmingham at the weekend in Kevin Gallen's testimonial. A 2-1 win was a fillip after losing 3-0 at home against Charlton a week ago. However, as Holloway told givemefootball's Ian Clarkson, he believes that pre-season results do matter.

Q ARE YOU PLEASED WITH THE WAY YOUR PRE-SEASON PROGRAMME HAS GONE?
A I am just relieved to get over pre-season. Year after year you have got loads of games where your fans want to see you come and play again and you are trying to get your players fit. What you try and do is get them fit without losing too many games because people say they don't matter or they don't count – but of course they do. Every time you are in a QPR shirt it counts. We have got a virtual fully-fit squad to choose from so I would deem that a success. Everyone seems to take a lot more notice of pre-season friendlies these days as they are on the television and radio – as if the season isn't long enough for everyone anyway!

Q DO YOU THINK YOU CAN MAKE THE PLAY-OFFS THIS SEASON?
A If you had asked me that question after losing 3-0 against Charlton then I wouldn't have wanted to have gone up. If that is what the Premier League is all about and they are the eleventh best team in that division then I wouldn't want to have to go and play them every week, as they looked light years ahead of us. We did a few things better against Birmingham but I still think we have got a million miles to go yet. We are stronger in depth than last year but we will have to wait and see. It is a long season and we have got three tough games next week. We travel to Hull and then entertain Ipswich and Sheffield United but I can't wait for the challenge.

Q REALISTICALLY. WHAT ARE YOUR TARGETS THIS SEASON?
A I think we are moving forward but we have got to beat 64 points, which we got last year and if we can reach 70 then we might be in the play-offs. There will be some ups and downs but I'll tell you what will happen...we will win, draw and lose some games but what it is about is how we handle it and accept it. You are only ever as good as your next game and I liked the response I got against Birmingham after not playing well against Charlton. It isn't always a disaster if you get beat or you get outplayed but it is how you respond.

Q ARE YOU LOOKING TO BRING ANY MORE PLAYERS IN?
A I am still looking at a left back although I think Matty Hislop will be a very good player in 12 months time. We are trying to bed him in and Matt Rose will enjoy it more when he has got Lee Cook outside him as he keeps the ball and Matt can run outside him. Aaron Brown isn't like that as he is the one to play when Gareth Ainsworth is on the right wing as he will be solid for us. I don't like playing Gareth and Lee in the same team as it looked like a taxi with both doors open. Anybody could get in and get out. Hopefully I will have the right type of ingredients to pick the team that I need. Sheffield United beat us at home last year when we had a hi-ho eleven. We aren't going to be like that this year as we have got better options.

Q ONE OF THOSE IS YOUNG DEFENDER DOMINIC SHIMMIM I TAKE IT?

A If I were one of my defenders I would be looking over my shoulder thinking Dominic Shimmim isn't bad. I want competition as when you have that you have a real team on your hands. I don't want to have to catapult a young kid into my team as that can hurt them. Dominic will be taking someone's place in the team pretty soon if he doesn't start the season, as he looks that good – and he is only 17. That's the sort of club I am trying to build. People think it's a team that you need but it's not. It's a structure that works, a scouting network that works and people coming through who will take you forward eventually. There is a load of optimism around the place, which is great, but I am the realist. I know how good we are and I know where I think we could finish and we are going to need to excel to finish any higher than that. It's a long old season and its a marathon not a sprint. Hopefully we are ready to start when the whistle goes.

Q HOW IMPORTANT WAS YOUR FINAL PRE-SEASON RESULT IN KEVIN GALLEN'S TESTIMONIAL?
A The most important thing was Kevin Gallen. A lot of old players and managers turned up, as did the supporters and that speaks volumes for him. He is becoming an ambassador for this football club. I am very proud that history will show I brought him back to the club. I think he had unfinished business and he is back haunting the place and hopefully he will be at Loftus Road for a few years more yet. I am proud of him, my team and the fans, as they are different class.
PFA Give me Football

Blog Archive