QPR Report Twitter Feed

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

QPR Goalie Paul Jones Turns 40

-
QPR "backup" goalie, Paul Jones Turns 40.
Joined QPR just over a year ago (February 2006) from Wolves on a free transfer. Played for Wolves, Stockport, Southampton and a couple of other teams. Earlier this season, Jones made his 50th appearance for Wales.
Career

See Paul Jones Career - Paul Jones: Wikipedia

WHAT WAS SAID WHEN JONES JOINED QPR LAST YEAR

BBC - Keeper Jones completes QPR move
Queens Park Rangers have signed keeper Paul Jones until the end of the season.
The 38-year-old Wales international was a free agent after being released by Wolves, and had subsequently spent time on trial at West Ham.
But he has decided to join QPR and he told the Stellar Group website: "It has all happened pretty quickly."
"But once I spoke to the club and heard their thoughts on what they were looking for from me, I had little hesitation in signing."
Jones won 44 caps for Wales and spent three months on loan at Millwall earlier this season, with Watford, Liverpool, Southampton, Stockport and Kidderminster his other former clubs.
"It was just one of those things with Wolves, my contract was up in June anyway so we decided to go our separate ways," Jones told BBC Sport Wales.
"As for Wales, I'm still keeping myself fit and available if needed.
"Helping out on the coaching side with our young keepers has been fantastic, so if I can pass something on to them and maybe pick up another few caps that's great." BBC

EastSleepSports - Jones joins Hoops Fri, Feb 10 2006
QPR have snapped up veteran keeper Paul Jones until the summer following the former Wales international's release from Wolves.
The 38-year-old had been on trial at West Ham after leaving Molineux last month but is pleased to team up with Rangers.
"I trained with the lads this morning and I'm very happy to sign until the end of the season," he told the club's official website.
"Tony Roberts phoned me last week to see if I could play at Leeds but I was on trial at West Ham - I'm very happy to be able to join Rangers this week.
"When a manager has his first game there is normally a big buzz around the ground so I'm hoping to do my part in helping Gary (Waddock) get his first victory.
"I don't know Simon Royce personally but I do know he's a very good goalkeeper. It's up to me to try and impress the new boss and hopefully give him a hard decision to make in the near future."
Jones has made more than 300 League appearances during a 15-year professional career that has included stints at Kidderminster Harriers, Wolves, Stockport County and Southampton.
He has also enjoyed loan spells with Liverpool, Watford and Millwall in the last two years. Profile

[News Release from Stellar
Paul Jones signs for QPR until the end of the season

Former Wolves, Liverpool and Wales goalkeeper Paul Jones has joined Championship side QPR until the end of the season after agreeing terms with the London club earlier today.
Paul, who earnt 44 caps for his country, had been invited to spend a few days training with Premiership side West Ham following the release from his contract at Wolves, but following talks at Loftus Road, he has decided his future lies in West London, not East.
The 38 year-old, who has enjoyed a career that has taken him to Wolves, Southampton and Liverpool amongst others, spent three months on loan at Millwall earlier this season. But his first team opportunities were limited at Molineux on his return and he will now hope to compete successfully with current Rangers number one Simon Royce.
Paul spoke to http://www.stellargroup.co.uk/ once he had signed his new contract and spoke of his desire to carry on playing to as high a level as possible:
"I am really pleased to have signed for QPR. It has all happened pretty quickly, but once I spoke to the club and heard their thoughts on what they were looking for from me, I had little hesitation in signing until the end of the season.
"I am going to train as hard as possible and hopefully force my way into the team. But I know a lot about Simon Royce and he is a very good goalkeeper so it should be a very interesting few months and hopefully there will be a good competition for the goalkeepers spot." Stellar

Blog Archive