QPR Report Twitter Feed

Friday, June 15, 2007

Background of QPR's New Commercial and Communication Director, Paul Parker

-
QPR today announced "the temporary appointment of Paul Parker as Commercial & Communication Director." Parker "will oversee the Commercial department, as well as providing assistance to the Public Relations team." QPR Official Site

A brilliant player for QPR and England the now 43 year old Parker was signed by Jim Smith from Fulham, in 1987 (after another QPR crisis: David Bulstrode's proposed QPR-Fulham merger had fallen through). Parker was at QPR for four seasons before joining Man United in the summer of 1991.

Prior to today's announcement, for the last couple of days, there had been hints on the QPR Fan messageboards of his coming return (although not what the position he was coming to.) There have been no announced departures from QPR, but the messageboards were also talking about a staff departure this week. It's not entirely clear what experience Parker has that led him to be appointed to head the commercial Department. And it's also not quite clear why this is termed a temporary appointment. But best of luck to him.


WIKIPEDIA:

"...Parker went into the non-league game and did a spot of coaching. He is often seen and heard as a pundit when matters concerning QPR, Manchester United or England are in the news. He also managed Welling United. As a result he is now an ambassador for the non-league top division, now re-named the Blue Square Premier Division.
Paul has ventured into media punditry and from August will be the lead co-commentator on Setanta Sports exclusively live Blue Square Premier coverage.
Wikipedia

Parker - Blue Square Commentating

September 2005 - Parker joins Folkestone as coach

2005 - Parker in at Folkestone
By Tony Incenzo. Tuesday, 20 September 2005.


Former England defender Paul Parker, 41, has been appointed as assistant manager of Folkestone Invicta in the Ryman League Premier Division.

Parker won 19 full caps in a career with Fulham, QPR, Manchester United,
Derby, Chelsea and Sheffield United. He has had coaching and management
experience with Ashford Town, Chelmsford City and Welling United.

Q. Paul, good luck at Folkestone. How do you feel about the appointment?

A. I am getting my toe back into Non-League football. I am there to help
boss Neil Cugley, who has become quite a good friend over a period of
time from when I was at Chelmsford and Welling. The role will be split
with my media work with MUTV for Manchester United fans.

Q. So how will you help Neil then?

A. It is just a case of being with him at as many games as possible. I will be there for Neil to bounce ideas off and for me to throw ideas back at him. I will also help to recruit players from north of the Thames. And also feed Neil with information about teams in the Ryman League, because he has spent most of his time managing in the Southern League.

Q. Folkestone have a disappointing start in the Ryman Premier this
season. So can you see signs of an improvement?

A. There is always room for improvement at any club. But it is very difficult for Folkestone. I have known Neil for a while and I am aware that the team is run on a very tight shoestring budget. They have always relied on local boys and Folkestone have been a very difficult side to beat over the last few years. But now Neil is finding that Kent has dried up in terms of footballers. There are not enough quality players around in the county and clubs in Kent are struggling. So Neil knows that he has to look a little bit further out. Then the difficulty comes with trying to bring players in with very little money and also with the travelling involved. So hopefully I can open up another avenue for Neil
to bring in some fresh faces.

Q. It sounds like a tricky task. So why did you become involved at Folkestone?

A. I very much enjoy Non-League football. Neil has given me a way back
into it without affecting my role on MUTV. I have missed out on a lot of media work over the years because of coaching and management, but I have now got myself involved in television quite fully. Neil understands that and he just asked me to give him as much help as I can.

Q. You have been involved in Non-League for quite a few years now haven't you?

A. Yes. I started out in late 1997 and was managing until November last
year. Things change so quickly and players move all over the place, so I
have a bit of catching up to do now. I've watched a few games down at
Gravesend in recent months, but I need to get myself back up to speed.
I'll be reading all the news on the internet and in the papers to catch
up on what is going on.

Q. Well let's talk about yourself Paul. You had some great times as a
player at the very highest level. Do you look back on your career with
affection?

A. I certainly do. I am still involved at Manchester United for every home game due to my media work. I have good memories and people are always reminding me about games I have played in.

Q. You appeared in the 1990 World Cup Semi-Final for England against West Germany. Was that the highlight of your career?

A. Yes it was certainly one of them. The public tend to remember it because the World Cup is a global event. Obviously, fans remind me about the bad bit first where Brehme's shot deflected off me to give Germany the lead. But then when people have stopped laughing and taking the Mickey out of me, they will go on to talk about my cross that set up Gary Lineker to score the equaliser. So all that sticks in my mind. And obviously we are coming around to another World Cup year so I am quite sure I will be reminded about it all over again.

Q. Finally, do you get satisfaction from passing your experience on to players at Non-League level?

A. Yes, I hope I can play my part. I hope we can progress at Folkestone,
rather than move backwards or parallel. That is the reason why I have gone back into Non-League football. To help the club step forward. FA

Queens Park Rangers FC Profile of Paul Parker

2004 Q&A With Parker

Blog Archive