QPR Report Twitter Feed

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Harford Explains Why He Joined QPR

-
MICK HARFORD EXPLAINS WHY HE JOINED QPR

QPR Official Site
"I was very impressed by what John had to say when I met him. I'm very happy to be here and am now looking forward to getting started,'' he said.
"It was a difficult decision to leave Colchester, but this was an opportunity I just couldn't turn down.''...his is a fantastic, well-established Club and the Manager is looking for an improvement on last season. I'm sure we'll do that.
"We'll take one game at a time, but every match we approach we will be looking to win, with good, attacking football." QPR

COLCHESTER OFFICIAL SITE -
"It is a real wrench to be leaving because I have been made to feel very welcome by everybody at the club, from the moment I came to Layer Road." ...QPR contacted Colchester and enquired about my circumstances and whether they could speak to me. I have a great relationship with George(Geraint Williams) and he told me of their interest."
"It was a massive decision for me even to ask for permission to talk to John Gregory and QPR and one that wasn't taken lightly," Mick continued, "but the main reason I took the job was the reduction in miles I had to drive to and from training."
Mick knew the 170 mile round trip was taking its toll on his suspect back and explained that his fears for his health were confirmed after having an operation on his back earlier this week
.
"It was a minor operation to clear a couple of problems up but the surgeon said that the thirty odd hours a week I was behind the wheel were a major factor in the deterioration of the back."
"While I'm not at death's door just yet, my health is obviously very important to me and finding a solution to those back problems was something that I have thought about for a good while now."
Mick then told the official website that U's Chief Executive, Marie Partner, had discussed ways of reducing the travelling by living in Colchester, either in rented accomodation or in a hotel, but he admitted that he was keen to stay living where he was.
"We did discuss spending more time in Colchester but I must admit that I am very settled where I am, with a lot of friends and family nearby, and I wanted to remain there. I was also offered a very attractive new contract to continue as George's assistant but when your health is at risk, money isn't really a consideration."
Mick then heaped praise on the U's in general by saying,"I can't thank Colchester United enough for giving me the chance to get back in the game and I have thoroughly enjoyed the last year at the club."
"I have learnt a lot from George and the players and feel privileged to have been a part of their first season in the Championship and one of the most successful in their history. It hasn't just been the management team that have helped me though, Marie and her office staff have all helped me a great deal over the past year."
..."." Colchester

BBC "Harford said the commute from his Hertfordshire home to north Essex played a big part in his decision to become John Gregory's number two. "It is a real wrench to leave but one of the main reasons is my health," the former Luton and Chelsea striker said."I had an operation to clear-up a couple of problems and I was told the 170 mile round-trip wasn't helping."
Harford added: "In fact the 30-odd hours I'm spending behind the wheel are a major factor in the deterioration in my back. "I was offered a very attractive new contract to stay and we had talked about my spending more time in Colchester but I'm very settled where I live with plenty of friends and family." . BBC

Blog Archive