QPR Report Twitter Feed

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Ex-QPR Paul Furlong Still Enjoying His Football

-
Dunstable News -Paul Furlong I've got plenty of life left in me yet!

38-year-old veteran on the secrets of his longevity
Eyebrows were raised by one or two Hatters supporters when Luton signed 38-year-old Paul Furlong during the summer.
But three goals in two games from the evergreen forward in excellent wins against Gillingham and Sunderland have more than won over the fans.
The former QPR, Watford and Chelsea man enjoys an ice bath after each game as part of his fitness regime.
And the hit-man, who put in a man-of-the-match display in Tuesday's 3-0 midweek Carling Cup win over Sunderland, says he has plenty of life left in him yet.
Furlong told Luton Today: "It was a great night. We knew it wasn't going to be easy, but we acquitted ourselves well and thoroughly deserved to win the game.
"It wasn't about me scoring goals it was more about the team doing well and winning the game.
"I'm here now to help the youngsters with my experience and I think I managed to do that against Sunderland.
"I've played at the top level, but I'm coming down the leagues now and this is the next stage for me.
"I've always wanted to get into coaching and I'm getting the chance to do that here now."
Far from being just an impact substitute, Furlong has started four out of five of Luton's game so far this season and came on as a first-half substitute in the other match in the first round of the Carling Cup against Dagenham & Redbridge.
Asked about what keeps him on top of his game just a month ahead of his 39th birthday, Furlong replied: "It's just a willingness to want to play and still being able to enjoy my football.
"I do feel the bumps and bangs a bit more now than I used to, I'd be lying if I said I didn't, but I know how to look after myself.
"With Sam Parkin unfortunately getting injured I've probably played a bit more than I expected, but I just say 'bring it on'.
"I want to get out there and play and if the manager picks me, there's no way I'll turn a game down."
Furlong has helped to bring on the game of the likes of young Town strikers Drew Talbot and Calvin Andrew.
And he is set to play a vital role when Hatters visit Leeds for what is sure to be a lively encounter on Saturday.
Furlong said: "These are the sorts of games everyone wants to play in. It will be a 30,000-plus crowd and a great atmosphere.
"It's a massive game and a big one for the gaffer. He'll be determined to win it, but so will we and after the performance against Sunderland we'll go there full of confidence." Dunstable Today

Blog Archive