QPR Report Twitter Feed

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Ex-QPR Update: Iorfa Unhappy...Ian Watson Bowling...Holloway Recovered

-
Three very disparate articles about three people very differently involved with QPR. In the case of Ian Watson and Ian Holloway: Long-time club staffers. And also financial news re ex-QPR's Chris Wright!

Daily Sun (Nigeria) GRAND CONSPIRACY! By EMMA NJOKU
"You may call it a campaign of calumny but Lobi Stars Football Club boss, Dominic Iorfa, says his detractors are bound to fail from their devilish plot to pull him down from the football Olympian height, which he had attained through dint of hardwork and undiluted transparency.
Reacting to a sponsored story on the internet, which was inadvertently published by Daily Sunsport, the former Super Eagles lethal striker said that most of the people behind the story could not pass the test of public scrutiny as he had done.
"It’s green envy," Iorfa said. "I did not speak with any reporter where I said I was untouchable. It is a grand conspiracy against me. I was furious with the Sunsport when people called me to tell me about the story. The Sunsport is one newspaper I hold in high esteem. I would have expected you to call me for my own side of the story."
That the Internet story was written in bad taste is to stand before the Eiffel tower in Paris and exclaim that this building is tall. That’s re-echoing the obvious. But the man that has risen to become one of the best football administrators in Nigeria – coming after Enyimba and Dolphins – said no amount of blackmail and intrigues can derail him from the target he has set for Lobi Stars.
A man who was miffed by the story spoke from Makurdi, saying Iorfa remains the golden man of the North, as he’s the only chairman who can match Felix Anyansi of Enyimba and the spending spree of Dolphins, even though he has little resources at his disposal.
"Those who want to drag our chairman down are mere name droppers," the man, who spoke under anonymity, said. "Iorfa is our pride in the North. Before the emergence of Gombe United in the soccer fray, only Lobi was able to match teams from the South.
"Our new governor is a man who loves football with absolute passion. He was at the FA Cup final in Lagos recently because of his love for the game. He has absolute confidence in Iorfa. "Our governor believes so much in him because he’s transparent and accountable in all his dealings. Why should anybody want to drag him down!"
Iorfa also stated that no amount of blackmail by the name-droppers and desperadoes would deter him from his resolve to ensure that the team remain one of the best in the country.
The former Queens Park Rangers of England and Super Eagles fiery forward, who was reacting to the sponsored story that he is running Lobi Stars Football Club like his personal estate, among other allegations, dismissed the report as wicked, malicious, baseless and unfounded, adding that it was a calculated attempt by self-seeking detractors to tarnish his hard-earned integrity.
"Nothing can stop me from pursuing my vision for football in Benue State," the former prolific forward said in a telephone chat with Daily Sunsport.
"Those who are after me have nothing to offer Benue State and Nigerian as a whole. I have built an enviable reputation in the game of football over the years, both as a player and as an administrator. Nobody can wish that away, no matter how hard such a person tries.
"They have tried everything to pull me down to no avail. Now they have resorted to dragging the name of Governor Gabriel Suswan and that of the Commissioner of Sports in Benue State into the mud, all in a bid to actualize their selfish ambitions. But God will frustrate all their plans.
"I have justified my position as the chairman of Lobi Stars in the last five years by ensuring that the team remains the toast and favourite club in the Northern part of Nigeria. Lobi Stars remain the only club that have competed favourably with the Southern-based giant clubs such as Enyimba, Insurance, Enugu Rangers, Dolphins among others.
"I led the team (Lobi) to win the national Challenge Cup in 2003 and, two years later, precisely in 2005, we also played in the final and lost to Enyimba on penalties.
"Till today, everybody is still talking about the 2005 FA Cup final match as the best in the last 10 years because of the quality of play by Enyimba and Lobi Stars. For a club to play in the continent twice in five years is no mean achievement.

"I have put Lobi Stars on the map of Nigerian football as well as the continent. In 2004, when the team played in the CAF Confederation Cup, I recalled that when we arrived the Bole International Airport in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, people were asking which national team was coming to play in their country. This was because all the players and officials were dressed in complete suits with shoes to match.
"Lobi Stars were the first team in Nigeria to be so kitted. Not even the Super Eagles have dressed like that to any championship.
"I will not submit to any cheap blackmail by those who do not mean well for Benue State. I am ever determined to make Lobi Stars the best team in Nigeria and Africa. Thank God I have the full backing of Governor Suswan, who has toed the footsteps of our former sports-loving governor, Senator George Akume.
"At the moment, we have a formidable technical crew and we have assembled a crack squad ahead of the new season. We are working assiduously to ensure that Lobi Stars grab a ticket to the continent at the end of the coming season," Iorfa said.
Iorfa regretted the recent malicious publication against his person, even as he advised journalists to always crosscheck their facts before going to the Press.
"I am always available and willing to volunteer any information to the Press at any time, because journalists have been my friends right from my active days as a player. But I would have no option than to seek legal action against any malicious and damaging reports against my person.
"I have no problem with the Commissioner for Sports, Mr. Benjamin Vembeh. We have a cordial working relationship. The recent report to the contrary was only a figment of the imagination of those behind the story. They are enemies of Benue State, who are pursuing their personal agenda," Iorfa said. Daily Sun

NEWS ABOUT EX-QPR DEFENDER, IAN WATSON
Just a brief, non-football reference to an old QPR player - Ian Watson - from the mid-60s to early 70s which evoked nice memories: Watson was a classy fullback (and sometimes center half; and briefly our captain - and part of the 67 non-playing squad). [To remind what he looked like Photo from 1967: Middle row, on the end, next to Mick Leach ]
Ian Watson Bio info: Born January 7, 1944
Joined QPR from Chelsea for 5,000 pounds in Summer of 1965 (Possibly the first Jim Gregory era signing, Watson was one of a number of Chelsea "rejects" who did a great job for QPR). Played some 200 games primarily wearing #2 shirt but also #3 shirt and also a few games as center back. He briefly captained QPR. Wastson Did NOT play in the 1967 League Cup Final. Tony Hazell had his spot.)
Watson was our only "ever-present" in the calamatous 1968/1969 Relegation season (which shows how good he must have been). Some seasons he played few games. Others he played the majority. He played 35 games in our 1972/73 promotion season. He played the first six games of our 1973/74 season back in the return. And then he retired."

Eastern Daily Press - "Royal bids to extend festival domination 21 August 2007
Four weeks of intense seafront action get underway on Sunday with the start of the 62nd annual Great Yarmouth festival of bowls.
There are two new tournaments this year - an open over-60s pairs and an over-60s singles - which have caused the showpiece event to be extended for a further week.
England star Mark Royal, from Stowmarket, will be bidding to win Yarmouth's blue ribbon men's singles, which has a prize fund of £1000 for the fourth successive year while North Walsham's Liz Shorter will be back to defend her ladies' singles title.
Dave Nurse, one of the dedicated small band of officials who make the event run like clockwork for the estimated 1,500 contestants, said that one of the many attractions was the chance to find yourself up against one of the many internationals who take part.
....Meanwhile, Wymondham Dell's Adrian Fox and Kevin Guy fell victim to Sussex's David Richardson and former QPR footballer Ian Watson in another first round encounter.
Fox and Guy were just 13-9 adrift after 13 ends, but, summoning up a powerful finish Watson netted a six in an 11-shot charge to romp home 24-14.
Hingham Short Mat Bowls Club, who meet at Hingham Sports Centre on Monday and Thursday evenings and Wednesday afternoons, has been awarded £1,721 from the Awards for All lottery fund.
The money is to be used to supply every member with clothing to form a club image while playing league matches and all friendly fixtures.
Anyone interested in joining the club (no experience necessary) should contact Roy Naish on 01953 852575. News

IAN HOLLOWAY RECOVERED

Plymouth Official Site - OLLIE BACK ON FORM - by Chris Parsons


IAN Holloway today returned to Home Park in triumphant form after his weekend health problems.

Ollie demonstrated that he was feeling fine following his Saturday lunchtime collapse by knocking in a couple of goals in a hectic morning training session.

He said: "We were one short because Marcel Seip had to go in with a sore ankle so I just joined in. I felt a lot better and I scored two goals. I enjoyed it. It's nice to be back."

The Argyle manager had been rushed to hospital before the Pilgrims' 1-1 draw with Ipswich Town on Saturday with pains in his back and side.

Holloway was taken to Plymouth's Derriford Hospital where it was revealed that he was suffering from a kidney stone. He was discharged later that evening and today relived his agonizing experience.

He said that the pain began when he woke up on Saturday morning and then got worse as the day went on.

"I got up to do my normal routine, have a shave, and I thought 'What's that?' I had pain coming round my side and through my back in a wave. Then it got worse and worse.

"I rang my doctor and he said he'd be at the ground when I got here. I thought, if I got here, then there are probably some first-aid people here so I could be sorted out, get some relief and maybe carry on and do the game.

"After I got here and got into my office, I was on the floor trying to get rid of what was going on. As I was rolling around on the floor in my office, I noticed I need a new carpet and I must paint the skirting boards - that is not premiership quality!

"I stood up and I had all this rubbish over me! So, I said to the chairman last night that I need new carpets and he said he'd check the budget for me. I can't accept shoddy standards the next time I need to roll around on my floor!"

Ollie was taken by ambulance to hospital, where he remained while the game went on.

"It was very surreal," he said. "I arrived at the ground for a game I was really looking forward to the next thing I know, some bloke is sticking his head through the curtains.
"I haven't even been told why I'm in so much pain and he says 'You're one down.' The last thing I needed to hear. To be fair to the fella, he came back with a bit of paper that said [Sylvan] Ebanks-Blake had equalised.
Ollie blamed the stone on a recent fitness regime he has been working on.
"I probably haven't re-hydrated myself as well as I should have done after running into work from Mount Batten the other morning and doing weights."
All jokes aside, Ollie said how great it was to be back.
"I was very thankful to wake up and not have anything hurt this morning," he said. "It was great. It's a horrendous thing for anybody to go through."

Daily Telegraph Longacre reviews 26pc stake for Chrysalis founder
By Dominic White and Ben Harrington
Chrysalis founder and chairman Chris Wright is working with Longacre Partners on a review of his 26pc stake in the music publisher, whose extensive library includes songs by David Bowie and Gnarls Barkley.
Longacre is advising the 62-year-old on various options, including taking the company private, or else selling, or maintaining his stake.
The corporate finance boutique advised Mr Wright during Chrysalis' recent £170m sale of its radio business to Global Radio.
Analysts at Dresdner Kleinwort this month said the Chrysalis' music business could be worth more than £170m, and would attract widespread interest from the likes of Warner Music, Universal, Sony/ATV and private equity.
However, signals suggest Mr Wright is unlikely at this point to sell the music business he formed in the late Sixties after graduating from Manchester University where he booked acts such as Cream and The Yardbirds.
One banker was told Mr Wright would be loathe to sell to a rival music group and would be more inclined to mount a bid himself, despite his age.
Dresdner analyst Richard Menzies-Gow has forecast that Mr Wright will exit within four years. ''There seems little logic for this music business to retain a public quote and we believe there are numerous interested suitors ready to offer an attractive price for the business, more than is currently implied in the share price.
''However, with a 26pc stake, the chairman still has the ability to influence this decision, and to date his intentions remain unclear," he wrote in a recent note to clients.
Mr Wright, whose fortune has been estimated at £95m, also owns Wasps rugby club and the Stratford Place racing stud farm in Gloucestershire.Chrysalis declined to comment. Telegraph

Blog Archive