QPR Report Twitter Feed

Friday, August 17, 2007

QPR Snippets: Hogan Ephraim on QPR and Colchester

-
Essex Gazette - Tough choice for Hogan
By Jonathan Waldron

"Hogan Ephraim today revealed he found it very, very hard' to turn down a return to Layer Road.
Colchester United manager Geraint Williams was keen to bring the West Ham United youngster back to north Essex, following his impressive loan spell with the club last season.
Ephraim snubbed the U's to join their Coca-Cola Championship rivals Queens Park Rangers on a one-month loan and made his debut for the west London club on Saturday. However, he insisted it was a very tough decision to reject Colchester's overtures - and one that he did not make lightly.
Ephraim told the Gazette: "It was a very tough decision and it was very, very hard turning Colchester down.
"They are a team going places and the new chairman is very ambitious.
"The manager was unreal last season and I was able to talk to him about anything, not just football.
"Under him and Mick Harford, I improved both as a footballer and as a person and I am very grateful for the opportunity they gave me." Essex Gazette

And reposting,
Hogan Ephraim Hoping For Extended QPR Loan (and Choosing QPR Over Other Teams)-
Ben Kosky/Kilburn Times - Hogan hoping for a longer stay
HOGAN Ephraim has spent just a matter of days at QPR - but the young striker is already angling for an extended stay.
Ephraim has joined the Rs on a month's loan from West Ham and hopes he can convince John Gregory to keep him for longer before the August transfer window closes.
The 19-year-old north Londoner told the Times: "I think it's just a case of whether West Ham sign another player in my position - if they do, then the loan might be extended to January.
"If not, maybe I'd have to go back, but I've enjoyed it here so far. Last Thursday, I had to make a decision on where I wanted to go and there were three other Championship clubs, but I chose QPR.
"Then I came down on the Friday and I saw enough in that first training session to know it was the right decision - we had an eight-a-side and the quality was unbelievable."
Ephraim emerged through the Hammers' youth and reserve teams to make his full debut in a Carling Cup tie against Sheffield Wednesday two years ago, but further first-team action has eluded him since then.
Last season, he was loaned to Colchester for six months, where he trained under Geraint Williams and Mick Harford and featured 21 times, mostly as substitute.
The presence of Harford, now Gregory's number two at Loftus Road, was a significant factor in Ephraim's move to Rangers and he added: "I was with Mick last year and the way I matured as a player and a person was there for all to see.
"Hopefully with him and the gaffer I can do the same this season. From speaking to them, it's clear they've got some good plans and I wanted to be part of that.
"I was pleased with my debut at Bristol City - we played well and were unlucky not to win. We could have scored four or five goals on another day, I thought.
"But we showed great character to come back and equalise in the last minute. If we keep going like that, we'll win many more games than we lose and do very well this year."
Although Gregory has labelled Ephraim as a wide midfielder who can play up front, he has been spent most of his career to date as a forward player.
Effectively, he is - at least during this initial month - a replacement for Ben Sahar, who was taken ill just before the game at Ashton Gate and is now sidelined after an appendix operation.
But, while Sahar has been earmarked as a future Chelsea star, Ephraim acknowledges that his long-term prospects at Upton Park look dim after Eggert Magnusson's summer spending spree.
"At the moment it looks hard," Ephraim admitted. "The club are aiming for the top four in the next three to four years and, when you're doing that, you're going to buy players.
"If people like Freddie Ljungberg and Craig Bellamy become available and you've got money, you've got to go for them. I'll just keep trying my best and if the chance comes along, it comes along. Kilburn Times

Blog Archive