QPR Report Twitter Feed

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

QPR's Plymouth Loss - Further Reports and Comments

-
Among those watching the game: Flavio Briatore, Bernie Ecclestone and Trevor Francis

Plymouth Official Site - OLLIE'S PRIDE
THERE was no doubting the pride felt by Ian Holloway as his current club overcame his former one at Loftus Road.
Second-half goals from Petér Halmosi and David Norris gave Argyle a thoroughly-deserved 2-0 win at the ground where Ollie was - still is, in some parts - a hero.
"It felt good," he said. "I knew it was going to be tough, but I really enjoyed it today.
"I walked in and savoured the place where I worked for ten years of my life, five as a player, five as a manager.
"Loads of memories come back, and I can go away now very proud of two things: once I was manager here, and to bring my new lot here and play as well as we did. Terrific.
"We had a couple of scares, which you will get in the Championship, but that's as good an away performance as I've seen from us."
Ollie recalled Halmosi, Ákos Buzsáky, and Lilian Nalis to his midfield after Saturday's 2-2 home draw with Cardiff, when Steve Thompson's late goal deprived the Pilgrims of all three points.
Ollie said: "I got our preparation right, coming up yesterday and letting the lads have a right chill-out.
"They were a little bit disappointed to let in such a late goal against Cardiff, but I wasn't. I felt we needed to learn from that - that you shouldn't panic on your clearances.
"I thought the confidence was back and we looked like team that believed we could win.
"All bar a few minutes, that would have been two victories, and I think Cardiff are a damn good side - they have got the riches of [Robbie] Fowler coming off the bench.
"I anticipated an exciting match tonight and it was certainly that, but I thought we looked professional, we looked sharp, and the people I put back in looked like they had had a rest.
"I rested them [on Saturday] because I knew we had three games in a week. I've got some very, very talented players here and my job is to get the best out of them."
The goal from Halmosi that broke the deadlock came when the Hungarian turned Zesh Rehman inside out and fired the ball in with his right foot.
"It just shows what talent he has got," said Ollie. "You need that top unlock a door. He feinted to hit it, and made a beautiful little turn, be fore he hit it - and that was with his bad foot.
"I am so proud how these boys play for Argyle, and some of them, if not all of them, are getting better and better.
"We just need to keep believing and keep the focus and I felt that was there tonight." Plymouth Official Site


Plymouth Herald HALMOSI ORCHESTRATES CLASSY WIN AT RANGERS

Hungarian international Peter Halmosi scored one goal and set up another as Argyle clinched their second away win in the Championship this season.
It was the Pilgrims' first league victory at Loftus Road in 58 years, and it was a convincing one at that after an impressive all-round performance. ....
Argyle manager Ian Holloway had been in ebullient mood before the game against his former club.
He caught up with several members of Rangers' behind-the-scenes staff and popped into the club shop, where his new autobiography was on sale
.
Holloway's starting line-up showed three changes from the draw against Cardiff.
The alterations were all in midfield, as Hungarian internationals Halmosi and Buzsaky were both recalled, as well as Lilian Nalis....
Debt-ridden QPR have recently accepted a buy-out offer from Formula One tycoons Flavio Briatore and Bernie Ecclestone.
Briatore and Ecclestone were both guests of Rangers' chairman Gianni Paladini as they made their first visit to Loftus Road for the Championship clash against Argyle.
Also sat in the packed directors' box was Plymouth-born former QPR boss Trevor Francis

As usual in London, there was an excellent turn-out from the Green Army for the 8pm kick-off, but there were lots of empty seats around the rest of the stadium....
McCormick made a smart save from Sahar in stoppage time as Argyle inflicted a third successive home defeat on QPR, whose supporters booed loudly at the final whistle.
The Green Army, on the other hand, gave their players a rapturous reception after a hugely encouraging evening for Argyle. Plymouth Herald

Plymouth Herald - PILGRIMS ON THE UP AFTER QPR WIN - CHRIS ERRINGTON
Plymouth Argyle moved up to eighth position in the Championship with a 2-0 victory over Queens Park Rangers at Loftus Road last night.It was a happy homecoming for Pilgrims' boss Ian Holloway, who was previously manager of the west London club for five years.
The defeat of QPR was Argyle's first win in five league games, since they beat Hull City 3-2 at the KC Stadium on the opening day of the season...
Holloway said: "It's a good day at the office for me, isn't? Obviously, there is a special feeling here for me and I really enjoyed the whole day.
"I felt we got our preparation right. We came up on the coach yesterday and let the lads have a right chill out.
"I anticipated an exciting match and it was definitely that.
"But I thought we looked professional and we looked sharp."
Halmosi was one of three players recalled by Holloway after the 2-2 draw at home to Cardiff City on Saturday.
Midfielders Akos Buzsaky and Lilian Nalis also returned to the starting line-up and both played important parts in the Pilgrims' first win at Loftus Road since 1949.
Holloway said: "The people I put back in have had a rest and that's as good an away performance as I have seen from my lot.
"The confidence was back. We looked like a team who believed we could win, rather than a team who thought we were going to let a goal in, as we did the other night (against Cardiff)."
Holloway admitted to a mixture of emotions after inflicting a third consecutive home defeat on QPR.
He said: "It's happiness and sadness, and all sorts of things. When you have been committed to a relationship it's hard when it breaks down. It really is.
"But I'm trying to forge a new relationship now and, hopefully, it will be an even better one for the people who are now my new family."
Halmosi, who was Argyle's club record signing this summer when he moved from Hungarian champions Debrecen for £400,000, revelled playing on the superb surface at Loftus Road.
Holloway said: "Give us a good pitch, and I believe we are a good team. If I remember rightly, that pitch cost us (QPR) £600,000. If we had one like that I think we could pass it all over the place."
Holloway revealed he had missed Argyle's second goal, scored by Norris in the 64th minute.
He said: "Unfortunately, I was in the toilet because I have had this problem (a kidney stone) and I need to drink so much water. I heard a cheer and I thought, 'that isn't big enough to be QPR'. I hear it was a real good move and I look forward to seeing it." Plymouth Herald

DAILY MIRROR - IT'S THE PITS FOR RANGERS - By Ann Gripper 19/09/2007
Formula One bosses Bernie Ecclestone and Flavio Briatore did not bother waiting for the chequered flag to head for the exits as Plymouth left QPR trailing in their slipstream.
The motor-racing millionaires have had a £30million takeover bid recommended to shareholders, but after seeing their new investment go 2-0 down against Plymouth they headed home with six minutes still to play.
Second-half strikes from Peter Halmosi and David Norris gave former QPR boss Ian Holloway a winning return to Loftus road but current QPR manager John Gregory insists he is not feeling the heat from the boardroom changes.
Gregory said: "Nothing daunts me. I've been through everything.
I'm very philosophical about life but I'm also a proud man. We just continue to work as hard as we can - nothing changes." Mirror

The Sun
QPR crashed and burned in front of Flavio Briatore and Bernie Ecclestone.
The Formula 1 tycoons are expected to complete their £30million takeover at Loftus Road in the next week.
But they are buying a club who are 23rd in the Championship and without a league win this season.
Boss John Gregory — whose position is uncertain — said: “I’m absolutely distraught.
“Plymouth produced a classic away performance and their finishing was clinical.”
Rangers were the better side early on but Daniel Nardiello and Stefan Moore wasted good chances.
Plymouth, managed by ex-Rangers boss Ian Holloway, were a different side after the break and Peter Halmosi stole the show.
First he received a through-ball from Barry Hayles after 40 minutes, cut inside Zesh Rehman and finished confidently from six yards.
The Hungarian winger then headed back across goal on 60 minutes for David Norris to blast in.
Argyle manager Holloway said: “That was as good an away performance as I’ve seen from my lot. It is a special feeling for me.
“QPR still mean a lot to me, but give us a good pitch and we can show we are a good team.” The Sun

Also: QPR Official Site Photos from the Game - Photos

See Also Earlier Reports and Comments re QPR vs Plymouth: Earlier Reports & Comments re QPR vs Plymouth

Blog Archive