QPR Report Twitter Feed

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Stan Bowles: On This Date...At this Moment...Thirty Five Years Ago, Bowles Started Becoming a QPR Legend

-
On this day, Thirty Five Years ago...Stan Bowles became an instant QPR Hero...

Bowles made his debut at home to (pre-Brian Clough's) Nottingham Forest, September 16, 1972, two or three days after signing from Carlisle for a club-record 110,000 pounds. Bowles, wearing from that very first game, HIS #10 shirt. Within an hour, he had made the first goal for Don Givens...and scored the second...as Gordon Jago's QPR won 3-0 (Andy McCulloch getting the third). And QPR, of course, went on to promotion.
QPR's team that day.
Parkes
Clement Evans Hazell Watson
Venables Francis Busby
Givens Bowles Mcculloch
Sub: Salvage

From Bowles' autobiography "Stan The Man"
"I was 23 years old when I joined Queens Park Rangers in September 1972, for a then club record fee of 112,000 pounds...
"Rodney had made the No. 10 shirt his own, and, since he moved, no one wanted to tough the thing....The shirt thing didn't seem a big deal to me. I hadn't really heard of Rodney Marsh. So I just shrugged and said: "If no one wants it, I'll wear it."...
"...[A]s luck would have it, I scored one and made another for Don Givens in my first game - against Nottingham Forest on September 16th, 1972. We won 3-0, and the fans seemed to take to my style of play; which, to them, was a bit like Rodney's"(Stan The Man, page 33)

Seven Years later, Bowles finally left QPR - ironically for Nottingham Forest (by then managed by Brian Clough).

See Also: QPR Report: Bowles Joins QPR

Blog Archive