QPR Report Twitter Feed

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Vialli Says Not Interested in Replacing Gregory at QPR

-
The Times - Gianluca Vialli adamant that he has no designs on the hotseat at QPR
Gianluca Vialli says he is not in the running for the manager’s job at Queens Park Rangers. The former Chelsea manager issued a statement last night in an attempt to put an end to media speculation linking him to the West London club, who were recently bought by a consortium headed by Flavio Briatore, Vialli’s friend, and Bernie Ecclestone, the Formula One impresarios, for a sum in the region of £14 million.
Vialli was at Loftus Road on Saturday to watch QPR’s 1-1 draw with Watford, one of his former clubs, prompting some to suggest that he could replace John Gregory, the underpressure QPR manager. But Vialli quashed those suggestions last night.
“I was there because Flavio [Briatore] has been a friend of mine for more than ten years and he invited me along as his guest,” he said. “But I want to make it very clear that I have not been offered the job, nor am I seeking the job.
“It’s not my style to put myself forward for jobs by showing up at the games of other managers who might be having a difficult time. In fact, I don’t like it, I think it is disrespectful to the manager in charge. This is especially true with an experienced colleague and friend like John Gregory. But I did enjoy the experience of going and watching QPR play and I plan on doing it again as Flavio’s guest, but nothing more.”
Vialli, who is a pundit with Sky Italia, the Italian broadcaster, lives in West London and over the past few years he has been a frequent visitor to Stamford Bridge, where he has season tickets.
The former Italy striker was one of four out-of-work managers reportedly spotted in the directors’ box at Loftus Road on Saturday. The others were Dave Bassett, Gerry Francis and Martin Allen.
Gregory, the former Aston Villa and Derby County manager, was appointed manager of QPR on September 20, 2006. The side comfortably avoided relegation last season, despite a woeful financial situation that, at one point, prevented him from getting the photocopier in his office fixed when it broke down and on more than one occasion forced him to pay some expenses out of his own pocket.
This year, however, the side find themselves second from bottom in the Coca-Cola Championship, where they are without a win after six games.
“I’ve been given no guarantees about my future,” Gregory told The Times last week after meeting the club’s new owners. “I was just told to carry on doing my job and to prepare the team as best I can.”
QPR play away to highflying West Bromwich Albion on Sunday..."” The Times

See also: QPR Report - Perspective of Vialli's Time at Watford

On another item re Bosnich training with QPR: FOXSPORTS.com.au - 'The Whistleblower' - September 27, 2007 "Bozza, Gianluca, Tribula, Barney" -
Bozza, Gianluca, Tribula, Barney

Blog Archive