QPR Report Twitter Feed

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Snippets/Views of Ex and Loaned-Out QPRs

-
QPR's on-loan-to-Bournemouth Dominic Shimmin talking:
Shimmin shaping up to lend a hand - Daily Echo/Ian Wadley
CHERRIES' latest loan signing Dominic Shimmin wants his time on the south coast to be a "benefit for me and the club" after joining from Queen's Park Rangers.
The 20-year-old defender, who prefers to play at centre-half but has also featured as a right-back, boasts a fine pedigree, having spent his youth coming through the ranks at Premier League Arsenal.
He has made just a handful of appearances in more than two years at Loftus Road but is keen to make a big impression for Cherries, and help them emerge from their League One slumber after being snapped up initially until January.
"I'm very pleased to be down here," Shimmin told the Daily Echo. "I got here in a rush on Thursday. I was injured before that but I knew there was interest before.
"I'm here to get some wins under the belt because the team is in a sticky situation at the moment.
"I'm also here to get some first-team football but that doesn't mean I'm here for just a jolly-up. I'm here to play well and benefit for me and the club."
While Shimmin wants to force his way into Kevin Bond's back four, he also realises that he has a fight on his hands to displace the current backline, with Josh Gowling and Alex Pearce the preferred pair in central defence.
"I think competition is always good. It brings out the best in everyone," said Shimmin.
"I'm not here to walk straight into the team. I want to prove myself to the manager and show I can earn the shirt."
And Shimmin is not completely unknown to his new team-mates, with some familiar faces among the squad to welcome the QPR man.
He added: "Ryan Garry is a bit older than me but I was coming through at Arsenal and he was in around the first team.
"I know a few of the Reading lads as well. We all played academy football, so we all get on well." Daily Echo

UPDATE: Dennis Oli makes League One Team of The Week. [In the Championship 'Team of the Week' includes Danny Shittu and Sheff Wed Burton O'Brien - NOT Lee Grant!- Team of Week

Oli In Team Of The Day
Gillingham striker Dennis Oli has been included in the News of the World League One Team of the Day.
The striker, currently on-loan at the KRBS Priestfield Stadium from Grays Athletic, scored goals in the 46th and 59th minutes for the Gills to beat Hartlepool United 2-1
News of the World League One Team of the Day for Saturday 24th November... Gillingham

Simon Royce on Gillingham Official Site
Roycey: "The home form is promotion form."
Gillingham goalkeeper Simon Royce is delighted to make it ten games unbeaten at home as the Gills beat Hartlepool United 2-1 at the KRBS Priestfield Stadium.
Dennis Oli scored two goals for the Gills to beat Pools and pick up Mark Stimson's first league win and Royce is delighted with the result: "I thought we started okay. We looked quite decent in the first ten minutes and created a few chances. Hartlepool got their goal, I think it was a little bit against the run of play, and then it was backs-to-the-wall for the rest of the first-half. The conditions made it difficult, the wind was blowing one way then turn around; it was swirling a bit. That made it difficult. We managed to keep it down to one-nil for half-time and that was pleasing. In the second-half, we come out and I thought there was only one team going to win it in the end."
At nil-one, Royce made an excellent save from Pools striker Richie Barker and the stopper talked us through his heroics: "I don't know. To be fair, the ball bounced and that really helped. I think if it hadn't bounced and was on the fall, I may not have been able to get it over the bar. It was a case of helping it over really. That it what I am there to do. If I need to make one or two saves a week, and it helps the team out and we win, that is what I am there to do. It is pleasing that I am making saves but I'd rather not be, if you know what I mean."
...We want to win all our home games and that is ten unbeaten at home now, which is promotion form. Our away form is relegation form though so if we can sort that out next Tuesday at Crewe, I think we'll be alright.
Stimson has signed seven players in the last fortnight but Royce admits the arrival of so many new faces is not unsettling for him: "For me, it is business as usual. It was nice for me to see a few familiar faces as I know half of them as it's a bit like Queens Park Rangers revisited. There are 6 or 7 ex-QPR boys in there so that is quite nice. They have done ever so well, they will be working hard this week and they were brilliant today. There have been a lot of people saying that we're bringing in non-league players, can they cut it but I think they proved everybody wrong against Hartlepool. They showed the will to win. Adam Miller came on, put his foot in and shored it up in there; he was excellent. Stuart Thurgood was brilliant in the first-half and was a real calming influence in there. It looks really good for the future. The boys that didn't play, they will have looked at that and will be thinking that they have got to work really hard to get back into the side."
The Gills have a Saturday off as it's FA Cup weekend but Royce is expecting a tough week of training as they prepare for the visit to Crewe next Tuesday: "I hate running but I get on with it. Talk to any goalkeeper and they will tell you that they hate running. A goalkeeper's fitness is completely different to a midfielder or defender. We need things that are geared to our position; short and sharp stuff otherwise I wouldn't be able to make some of the saves that I do. There is no point me running around a field for several minutes as I am not going to get anything out of it. Mark Stimson has come in and he is going to make us do things that are going to win us games and we have to get on with it as professionals. I haven't had a session with Scott Barrett yet as he doesn't tend to do the goalkeeping too much. We join in more with the warm-up and stuff with the rest of the lads. He will take a session when he feels that we need it and I dare say that will be this week. Maybe over the last two weeks, I've been playing quite well and he hasn't felt that I needed it. I look forward to the coming week as it's a bit of a break. It's nice to get a break now and again as the games come thick and fast in this league and you're playing Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday-Tuesday. We'd have liked to have still been in the FA Cup but unfortunately we are not and we'll get on with working this week as we try to get that first away win at Crewe next Tuesday."
The Gills have yet to win away this season but Royce believes the side need to keep doing the right thing and the result will come: "Of course it is on the players minds. I believe we have the second worst away record in the football league. If we could take our home form with us on the road then the sky is the limit. We are brilliant at home and just need to sort it out away. When we do, we will be a match for anybody. As I said, the home form is promotion form. It is tough when we go to these places away and we haven't won. It must play on all the other players minds but we have just got to keep on doing the right things as we have at home and we'll be fine." Gillingham

Blog Archive