QPR Report Twitter Feed

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Two Players' Perspectives: Nick Ward on His QPR Hopes and John Curtis on QPR Changes and His Own Role

-
Rumours on QPR Messageboards about a number of QPR players being released, but nothing has been announced by the club, or even "reported" in the press.

Brisbane Times/Greg Prichard - Owen's guru puts Ward back together
OLYROOS midfielder Nick Ward followed a path worn by England striker Michael Owen to ensure he recovered from surgery in time to play in tomorrow night's critical Beijing qualifier against Iraq at Central Coast Stadium.
Ward, who plays for English Championship team Queens Park Rangers, had surgery to repair a sportsman's hernia only 15 days ago, but has made the swift recovery his surgeon predicted.
"Normally you would be out for about four weeks after an operation like that," Ward said yesterday. "But there is a woman in Germany who is one of the top surgeons in Europe in her field and I was directed to her. It was just by word of mouth that I heard about her. Michael Owen went to her and so have plenty of other footballers.
"If I'd had it done in England I wouldn't have recovered in time for this game, but I needed to get back quickly so I arranged to have it done by her. They said she was good and they were right - I'm back as quick as she said I would be. She's a bit of a guru, I reckon."
Ward has not played much during the current English season because of injuries and a fall-out with previous QPR coach John Gregory. He aims to fight his way back into the starting side after Australia's campaign for a place at next year's Beijing Olympics ends with Wednesday's away game against North Korea.
"Injuries have been killing me this season," he said. "But now we've got a new owner and a new manager and perhaps those changes will help make a change of luck for me at the club.
"I'm hoping that after these two games with the Olyroos I can go back and get a few games for QPR and show the new people in charge what I can do. It's a tricky time … in the January transfer window the club could go out and buy virtually a whole new team with the resources they've got.
"I've got to assess my future over the next few months, so hopefully the Olyroos matches will get me rolling again
… "
Iraq and Australia are level on points but Iraq have a goal differential that is superior by three. Australia can't afford to draw and hope for the best after that, since Iraq will play the bottom team in the group - Lebanon - in their final qualifier. Only the group winner goes to Beijing.
Ward said Olyroos coach Graham Arnold has several plans the team could utilise if they find themselves struggling against Iraq. "We've used three or four different systems during the qualifying series," Ward said. "And Arnie has made sure this week that we've got a lot of options … I'm quietly confident we can get the job done." Brisbane Times
[See Also: "Ward's Speedy Hernia Recovery"

ICONS - John Curtis Diary - A different atmosphere at Loftus Road
Things are definitely changing since the new manager Luigi De Canio came in and it’s starting to have an effect on the way the lads are performing.
The training regime has been totally reorganised and he’s worked a lot on us getting our shape right. It’s a back to basics approach to football and it’s good. Everyone knows exactly where they have to be at any particular time.
There’s also been a lot of focus on our defensive unit and I think we are already starting to look more solid at the back. Unfortunately we’ve let in a couple of very late goals recently and that’s disappointing. That’s simply down to concentration going a little bit as the game comes to an end.
It’s difficult to say exactly how things have changed at the club, but there is a different atmosphere here. It’s a bit strange because people are still settling into their routines.
I’m sure things will get easier as the management team start to learn English. At the moment everything is done through a translator and that means it takes longer than usual.
Of course football is football the world over and it’s true that it is a universal language. Most of the time we don’t need things to be word perfect in to understand what the boss is saying to us. I think the lads have been playing pretty well.
From a personal point of view things aren’t going that well and I haven’t been in the squad since John Gregory left. I spoke to Mick Harford when he was in charge and he explained his reasons for not playing me.
It was fine with Mick because he told you where you stood and what you had to do. He’s a straight-talking guy and you believe what he tells you.
It’s tough now because the new boss doesn’t know me and I can’t really speak to him. I want to be playing football and I’ll do everything I can do make that happen. I’m working hard in training and I’ve been happy with my performances with the reserves
.
I’m happy at QPR and this is a great club. It’s where I want to be and I would love to be a part of the first team set-up. That’s what I’m aiming for and with luck I can help our push on up the table – which I’m sure is coming. Icons

Blog Archive