QPR Report Twitter Feed

Friday, February 01, 2008

Birthday for Two Former #10s...Two Ex-QPRs on The Move...Could Have Been at QPR Coaching Youth, Swindon's Dave Byrne

-
No QPR arrivals or departures on transfer deadline day, despite various media (and messageboard) rumours. Steve Lomas was released by Gillingham and of course, Lee Cook went from Fulham to Charlton on Loan. Complete List of Deadline Transfers

Birthdays of two great (but not "the Greatest!") #10s of QPR: Simon Stainrod & John Byrne.
Simon Stainrod turns 49 - February 1, 1959. Signed by Terry Venables shortly after his arrival at Loftus Road. Profile. Also Wikipedia/Stainrod
John Byrne turns 47- February 1, 1961. Signed by Alan Mullery as a de-facto Stainrod replacement. -Profile Also Wikipedia/Byrne

Gillingham Official Site LOMAS, GRAHAM AND ARMSTRONG ALL DEPART
Gillingham trio Steve Lomas, Dave Graham and Craig Armstrong have all left KRBS Priestfield. The summer signings have had their contracts cancelled by mutual consent. All three have failed to impress manager Mark Stimson and now have the opportunity to continue their careers elsewhere.
Talking exclusively to the official website, manager Stimson said: "All three don't figure in my first-team plans here at Gillingham so it's best for all concerned that they move on and hopefully find themselves a new club. We have a good squad now and a great togetherness."
Gillingham Official Site


Swindon Advertiser/Andy Cryer - Dave's in dreamland
"... After more than a year of leading Town's youth revolution, [Dave] Byrne got promoted to assistant manager, under Maurice Malpas, and now eyes being the main man at the County Ground one day....
He said: "I had 17 years as a pro but I decided to go down a different route. I went down the coach education route and it took 10 years to get my coaching badges and my coach education badges.
"I went out and delivered all the coach education classes for the FA.
"It was always my ambition to get into full time coaching. But if it did not come about it would have made no difference to me because I enjoyed working with the FA and I enjoyed working with the counties.
"I was a League tutor for a couple of years and so doing the mentoring process for the coaches was something I enjoyed.
"I enjoyed working at Plymouth college as well, where I taught on the public services doing the fitness work for joining the army."
Byrne was handed his first chance back in the professional game when Paul Sturrock brought him to the County Ground as Head of Youth more than a year ago now and he insists he still feels he owes the club a lot.
He said: "My real ambition was to get back full time, in what capacity it never really crossed my mind. Primarily I would have said it was the youth job that really really appealed to me. I could have gone to QPR in the summer for a lot more money than I was on here. I could also probably go to Plymouth but for me loyalty is a big thing in football.
"Swindon gave me my chance and I have loved it here..." Swindon Advertiser

Blog Archive