QPR Report Twitter Feed

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Timoska on His Way...Mancienne on Playing But Not on His Future...Ainsworth on Helping Coach-Manage

-
Ben Kosky/Kilburn Times - Timoska's time is up
FINNISH defender Sampsa Timoska is on his way out of Loftus Road just a year after joining the club from MyPa 47.
The versatile Timoska signed for QPR at the start of the January 2007 transfer window and played an important part in the club's escape from relegation.
But he has not featured in the team since Rangers' 2-2 draw at Scunthorpe two months ago and is not part of Luigi de Canio's long-term thinking.
Performance manager Joe Dunbar confirmed that the club are currently in discussions with Timoska to cancel his contract, five months before it was due to expire.
The 28-year-old defender, who made 21 appearances for the club, will become the 11th member of the squad to be jettisoned since De Canio took charge three months ago.
De Canio was absent from Rangers' 3-0 win over Bristol City last weekend after returning to Italy following the death of his father.
He left Dunbar, coach Paolo Pavese and senior player Gareth Ainsworth in charge for the game, during which all the Rs players wore black armbands as a mark of respect.
Dunbar said: "First and foremost our thoughts are with him [De Canio]. I was proud of the players - they put on a very professional performance."
The manager returned to London on Monday night and took charge of training the following day at Harlington. Kilburn Times


Ben Kosky/KILBURN TIMES Michael's relieved to make the cut
MICHAEL Mancienne feared injury problems would cost him an England place when the new regime's first under-21 squad was named last week.
The QPR defender's season has been hampered by hamstring injuries, restricting him to just an hour of first-team football in the two months leading up to England selection.
But Mancienne was named as a substitute for Tuesday's European under-21 Championship qualifier against the Republic of Ireland, having completed his first full game since November three days earlier as Rangers beat Bristol City 3-0.
"I did fear I might not be called up because I hadn't played too much football, so I was really happy to get the news that I was in the squad," Mancienne told the Times.
"I had my hamstring checked on last week because last time I got back from the injury, played a couple of games, and then it came back again.
"It's frustrating because I didn't have these problems last season. One minute it'll be the left, the next minute it'll be the right and it seems once you have this problem it does keep coming back.
"Now I'm looking for a good run of games over the next three months to the end of the season. I'll do the best I can and hopefully I can finish it strong and without any injuries."....
Despite the stop-start nature of Mancienne's QPR career, the high turnover of players makes him currently the sixth longest-serving member of the squad - even though he remains a Chelsea player and signed a new contract to stay at Stamford Bridge until the summer of 2010.
"I had to be a bit of a neutral for the FA Cup tie the other week, because I've been with Chelsea all my life, but I'm also one of the longest-serving players at QPR now," Mancienne observed.
"I'm glad I came back here - it's much easier to settle in at a club when you've been there before.But I've got two more years at Chelsea after this season and nothing's been said to me about what might happen long-term.
"My aim's to get more games under my belt for QPR. There are more people competing for places now, but I think that's a good thing and I welcome the challenge.Kilburn Times


KILBURN TIMES - Gareth Ainsworth Step on the Gaz
THERE'S no way I'd dream of calling myself a coach or manager - but having a taste of it on Saturday has really made me think seriously about getting into that side of things when my playing days are over.
I should just make it clear that I'm not even thinking about hanging my boots up any time soon - that isn't the way Gareth Ainsworth is going to go out of football.
But it surprised me how naturally it came, standing out on the touchline and getting frustrated with the referee. I think the singing helped because at least my voice didn't go!
It was brilliant to watch a 3-0 victory and I tried to get the lads a few days off after the game, but the coaches weren't having any of that.
The whole experience has opened my eyes, but it's sad that it all came about because of the gaffer losing his father.
It was a difficult week for Gigi and, along with the rest of the players, I can only express massive sympathy to him and reiterate that we're all there for him.
Gigi called myself, Martin Rowlands and Adam Bolder before the game and told us that he wanted us to take on more active roles - Rowly leading the team on the pitch, Bolds up in the stands taking a few notes and myself in a coaching role.
Paolo, the coach, hasn't taken too many sessions, so the gaffer told me to be how I normally am, to give a team talk and shout instructions to the lads on the pitch.
I thought the performance against Bristol City was fantastic and, if we can play anything like that when we go to Southampton, we'll be in with a good chance.
They beat us convincingly earlier in the season, but the QPR team that played that day is very different from the one we've got now.
Of course, our away form does need addressing. The best teams aren't necessarily the ones who play flowing football and win 5-0 - they also need to be capable of grit and guts and grinding out results away from home.
Those are qualities that were missing from our game at Cardiff last week and we need to rediscover them now.
On the plus side, our form at home is excellent and let's hope we can continue that on Tuesday against Burnley.
From a personal point of view, it's always nice to put one over on Burnley and I'll never lose the hunger for beating the old enemy! Kilburn Times

Blog Archive