QPR Report Twitter Feed

Saturday, March 22, 2008

QPR and Wolves Post Match Comments and Match Reports

Luigi De Canio was left bitterly disappointed after watching his Rangers side lead three times at Wolves, but only emerge from the game with a point to show for their efforts.
The R's led through Akos Buzsaky, Dexter Blackstock and Mikele Leigertwood, but Mick McCarthy's men drew level on three occasions, including a last-gasp leveller in the 95th minute.
Like many in the stadium, De Canio was left wondering where referee Clive Oliver found so much injury time from, but he told www.qpr.co.uk:
"That wasn't the only pearl from the referee today. He damaged us considerably throughout the game.
"But we have to accept responsibility for this result and for the fact that we did not win. We didn't kill them off in the first half when we had the chances to do so.
"Obviously I am upset to see us concede such a crucial, late goal, but I am more disappointed that we didn't finish the game off by half time.
"Even in the second half we had several opportunities, but did not take them."
Failing to kill sides off is something that De Canio's team have been punished for already this season, and the R's First Team Coach admitted:
"It is something that we are missing from our game. And it is something that great teams need to have. Clearly we are not a great team yet."
Martin Rowlands was forced off before the end of the first half, and De Canio revealed:
"He was suffering with a neck injury, which is why we took him off.
"We missed the dynamic edge he brings to the midfield, but that isn't the reason we drew this match, we made mistakes in other areas of the pitch." QPR

Wolves boss Mick McCarthy admitted he was delighted with the way his play-off chasers battled back to earn a 3-3 draw against QPR at Molineux.
Andy Keogh's second goal salvaged a point at the death and denied a Rangers outfit who had led three times.
Akos Buzsaky fired Rangers ahead on 27 minutes but Keogh levelled with his first goal on the stroke of half-time. Dexter Blackstock and Sylvan Ebanks-Blake converted penalties before Mikele Leigertwood fired Rangers 3-2 ahead only for Keogh to haul Wolves level for a third time.
"That might well turn out to be the most valuable point we have got all season," said McCarthy afterwards.
"I don't remember when we have played as well as that. That's as good as we have been. We had our chances and we certainly deserved to get level."
McCarthy stressed the penalty that gave Rangers a 2-1 lead should not have been awarded and neither should the one that levelled the scores at 2-2.
"Our penalty should never have been given but it levelled things off," said McCarthy. "They got a very good third goal but we kept on fighting and my players showed great character to make it 3-3."
Rangers manager Luigi De Canio said: "It's a bit sour to come away from Molineux having scored three goals and not won the match.
"Two of the Wolves goals were in injury time at the end of each half and that's something I am not too happy about. I don't know where the referee got those extra minutes at the end of the match.
"We had some good chances but we wasted them. We know we can play good football and we can play much better than that."
Both teams went into the game in good form, each boasting a record of just one defeat in their last seven league games. Sporting Life

WOLVES OFFICIAL SITE Boss Praises Fans For Keogh Boost
Mick McCarthy praised the fans who lifted the spirits of Andy Keogh after the striker had scuffed a 29th minute effort wide. The former Scunthorpe man went on to net two goals which, along with a penalty strike from Sylvan Ebanks-Blake, helped Wolves to a share of the points against QPR this afternoon.
Keogh's initial mistake was greeted with calls from certain sections of the crowd for Freddy Eastwood to be brought into the game. Other fans countered with chants of Keogh's name.
The boss said: "I want to praise the positive action of the supporters who realised what was happening and straight away started singing for Andy. Look how well it helped him to play.
"They were not having a go at Keogh direct but we all know what the 'Freddy' chants meant - get Keogh off and Freddy on.
"The lads were all talking about it afterwards and Freddy was embarrassed by it. It's insulting to Keogh.
"But what I loved was the fans who cheered Keogh. What a difference it made to the player because that sort of thing does affect you."
The boss said he believed Wolves deserved more from a game that had produced one of the team's best performances of the season.
He added: "We got less than we deserved. If we'd lost it would have been a travesty because if we've ever played better than that I'd like to see the DVD.
"I was wondering though if - to spice up games - we can give penalties when they are not penalties? Neither should have been given.
"Our players showed real depth of character in adversity to keep going.
"Two points a game is a good tally and that point this afternoon might prove to be the most valuable point all season."
*Rob Edwards has damaged his ankle ligaments. Wolves

QPR Official Site
Wolves scored a 95th minute equaliser in a thrilling 3-3 draw at Molineux this afternoon, although the R's will be desperately disappointed not to have won, having led on three separate occasions.
In bizarre weather conditions which included sun, rain and snow, Akos Buzsaky had earlier given Luigi De Canio's men the lead before Andy Keogh drew matters level just before the break.
Early in the second half, Rangers were awarded a spot-kick when Neill Collins handled inside the area. Dexter Blackstock made no mistake, but Wolves were soon level when referee Clive Oliver awarded his second penalty of the afternoon for a foul by Michael Mancienne on Matt Jarvis - although the challenge seemed to occur outside the box.
As Wolves pressed for the winner, Rangers soaked it up before Leigertwood struck a stunning third for the visitors.
Just when it looked as though maximum points would be heading to W12, Wolves scored through Keogh for the second time of the afternoon following a huge goalmouth scramble.
Rangers went into this fixture unchanged from the side that overcame Scunthorpe United 3-1 at Loftus Road last weekend.
Wolves approached this match knowing that, should results go their way, they would find themselves in the top six by the end of the afternoon.
The R's own Play-Off hopes might be slim, but that didn't mean they headed to the Midlands with the intention of rolling over for Mick McCarthy's side.
But it was the hosts who started stronger and could have been ahead as early as the fourth minute when Sylvan Ebanks-Blake got the better of Matt Connolly in the R's penalty area.
As Lee Camp raced out to close him down, the former Plymouth man squared the ball for Andy Keogh, but as the latter went to tap the ball home, Fitz Hall arrived bang on cue to produce a goal-saving challenge.
Three minutes later Michael Gray stung the palms of Lee Camp with a powerful drive from the edge of the box as Wolves looked to gain an early advantage.

McCarthy's side continued to push forward and in the ninth minute, Ebanks-Blake raced clear down the right before picking out the head of Keogh in the area. Thankfully for the R's, the Wolves striker put the ball wide from six yards.

On 20 minutes, the R's created their first real chance of the afternoon through Patrick Agyemang.

The R's hitman picked the ball up in the Wolves penalty area and managed to fend off the attentions of Kevin Foley and Jody Craddock - on for the injured Rob Edwards - before firing his shot inches wide of the far post from a tight angle.

The visitors started to enjoy more possession at this stage, and they took no time to turn their territorial dominance into a 1-0 lead.

On 27 minutes, the impressive Rowan Vine brought down a hurried Wolves clearance with a great touch on the right.

And, as we've come to expect from the former Birmingham striker, he raced straight at the opposing backline.

With the defence at sixes and sevens, Vine slid the ball into the feet of Akos Buzsaky who took one touch before arrowing his shot into the bottom left corner from 20 yards.

Concerningly for the Hoops, Martin Rowlands hobbled out of the action shortly after the half hour mark, to be replaced by Gavin Mahon.

The hosts started to enjoy their own spell of possession, but the R's backline seemed capable of withstanding whatever was thrown at them.

In the 41st minute, however, Wolves nearly drew level following confusion between Camp and Hall after a curling delivery from the right.

With Camp attempting to collect, Hall knocked the ball against his own keeper and it fell at the feet of Matt Jarvis, but he could only find the side netting from a tight angle.

Rangers failed to heed that warning, though, and moments before the interval Wolves found the goal they craved.

Michael Gray produced an excellent cross from the right and Keogh rose highest to power his header home from eight yards out.

The second half burst into life within two minutes when referee Clive Oliver awarded a spotkick following a Buzsaky free-kick from the right of the penalty area.

As the ball arrived in a crowded box, Oliver clearly believed it had hit the arm of Neill Collins and had no hesitation in pointing to the spot.

The Wolves defender was booked for his protestations and, in the absence of the injured Rowlands, Dexter Blackstock assumed responsibility for the penalty.

He made no mistake as he put Wayne Hennessey the wrong way from 12 yards out.

Buoyed by his third goal of the season, Blackstock nearly added another moments later with a ferocious drive, which flew inches over the bar.

At the other end of the pitch, Keogh seemed to have got clear of the R's backline, but Matt Connolly produced a stunning saving tackle before the Wolves striker had a chance to test Camp.

On 62 minutes a mistake by Camp nearly allowed Wolves to draw level when he spilled Ebanks-Blake's effort from 16 yards. Thankfully, the R's keeper was able to get out and smother the danger before the Wolves frontman could capitalise.

Three minutes later, referee Oliver handed the hosts a lifeline when he pointed to the spot for the second penalty of the game. He felt Michael Mancienne had deliberately brought down Jarvis in the box when it largely looked like the challenge had occurred outside the area.

Ebanks-Blake stepped up to smash the ball home and draw matters level for the second time of the afternoon.

And they very nearly took the lead when Jarvis pulled the ball back from the left for the on-rushing Karl Henry to slam goalwards from eight yards. Incredibly he was denied by a stunning save from Camp.

As the hosts started to dominate, Luigi De Canio threw on Gareth Ainsworth for Buzsaky in a bid to inspire his troops.

But they were unable to stop the free-flowing Wolves who were now creating wave after wave of attack.

Jarvis - a constant threat - forced Camp into another fine save on 77 minutes with a powerful drive from 25 yards out as Wolves searched for the all-important fifth goal of the game.

Incredibly it came from the visitors two minutes later. Ainsworth delivered a teasing cross from the right which was only partially cleared into the path of Mikele Leigertwood. The R's midfielder took it on his chest before firing an unstoppable drive from 20 yards out, to the delight of the travelling Rangers fans.

Wolves pushed forward in the closing minutes and brought on powerful front man Kevin Kyle in a desperate bid to break down the R's backline for a third time. And they managed it deep in injury time after a huge goalmouth scramble before the ball fell at the feet of Keogh, who made no mistake from close range.

Wolves: Hennessey, Collins, Olofinjana, Henry, Keogh, Edwards (Craddock, 4), Jarvis, Ebanks-Blake, Foley (Kyle, 86), Gray (Eastwood, 59), Elokobi.

Subs: Gibson, Stack.

Bookings: Collins (48), Jarvis (63)

Goals: Keogh (44), Ebanks-Blake (66), Keogh (90)

QPR: Camp, Delaney, Mancienne, Blackstock, Buzsaky (Ainsworth, 74), Connolly (Rehman, 59), Agyemang, Vine, Hall, Leigertwood, Rowlands (Mahon, 31).

Subs: Pickens, Balanta.

Bookings: Mancienne (57), Delaney (68), Blackstock (82)

Goals: Buzsaky (27), Blackstock (pen, 49), Leigertwood (79)

Referee: Mr C Oliver

Attendance: 24, 290 QPR


Wolves 3 (Keogh 45, 90, Ebanks-Blake pen 67,) QPR 3 (Buzsaky 28, Blackstock pen 49, Leigertwood 79)
Posted on: Sat 22 Mar 2008

A game full of action, goals and controversy gave Wolves a share of the points against QPR this afternoon thanks to a dramatic last minute equaliser from Keogh.

Wolves had the best of the early action, with Hall making a crucial clearance of an Ebanks-Blake cross that was aimed at the advancing Keogh. Then, in a similar movement between the Wolves two forwards, Keogh headed wide.

The home side were forced to make an early substitution when Edwards appeared to have gone over on his ankle and was replaced by Craddock.

QPR battled back with Agyemang coming close with a shot that skimmed across the face of Hennessey's goal on 20 minutes.

With the Londoners coming into the game more and more, it was OPR who took the lead on 28 minutes. Wolves lost possession and Buzsaky scored an impressive individual goal from the edge of the area.
Article continues
Click Here!

Wolves tried to reply instantly and Keogh fired a shot wide.

Undeterred Wolves continued to work hard and regained their dominance. Jarvis, one of Wolves' busiest players hit the side netting on 42 minutes after a searching cross across the box from Keogh.

Wolves pulled level just before the break, glancing a header past Camp from an excellent ball into the box by Gray.

H-T: Wolves QPR 1

The second half started disastrously for Wolves with Collins penalised for handball in the box. The ball looked to have accidentally struck the defender's upper arm.

Blackstock scored from the spot on 49 minutes.

Ebanks-Blake came close to getting an equaliser but his low shot was saved by the legs of Camp.

Jarvis put Keogh through on 54 minutes but the Wolves striker got sandwiched between Hall and Connolly.

Eastwood came on for Gray on 59 minutes.

Olofinjana tried a shot on 63 minutes but although Camp fumbled his save there was no one there to follow up.

Wolves drew level though another controversial penalty decision when Mancienne made little contact with Jarvis outside the area but referee Clive Oliver pointed to the spot. Ebanks-Blake stepped up and scored.

Jarvis came close to getting a winner with a long distance strike that camp did well to turn away. Olofinjana connected with rebound but the ball went wide.

Then, against the run of play, Leigertwood won the ball on the edge of the 'D' and fired past Hennessey to leave Wolves trailing again.

Kyle came on for Foley on 87 minutes.

There were five minutes added time and, after a dramatic goal mouth scramble, Keogh buried an equaliser in the final minute. Wolves

Blog Archive