QPR Report Twitter Feed

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Bottom Line: QPR Lose at Coventry...Stay Fourth

Despite their loss, QPR stay 4th (would have moved up to 2nd with a win) - Updated Table

QPR Official Site Coventry 1 QPR 0

QPR's impressive start to the season suffered its latest setback as - despite dominating the second half - Elliott Ward's first half penalty gave Coventry City all three points.

Mikele Leigertwood's foul on Sky Blues midfielder Jay Tabb gave the home side the chance from 12-yards, which Ward converted to ensure Manager Iain Dowie's return to The Ricoh Arena was not as he had hoped.

Midfielder Emmanuel Ledesma had the best chance to equalise after he was put through on goal, but he could only muster a tame effort that barely troubled home keeper Kieren Westwood.

Following Wednesday's hard-earned victory against Norwich City, Dowie was forced in to one change.

Latvian international defender Kaspars Gorkss came in for Matthew Connolly, who missed out owing to the red card he received at Carrow Road four days ago.

Akos Buzsaky was again named on the bench, as was Fitz Hall, returning from a groin injury.

City boss Chris Coleman named an unchanged line-up, which meant Michael Mifsud - who starred under the guidance of Dowie during his reign at The Ricoh Arena - again had to make do with a place on the Sky Blues' bench.

With the impressive 1700-strong away support in full voice, the game got underway.

And it was the visitors who threatened first, as Lee Cook ran at the Coventry defence before laying the ball off to the gallivanting Damien Delaney, who cut inside and unleashed a shot on his weaker right foot that went high and wide.

City fought back and Clinton Morrison's right-wing cross only just eluded the onrushing Freddy Eastwood.

Moments later, this time from a corner, Ward's near-post header went inches wide of Radek Cerny's right hand post.

The home side's pressure was beginning to mount, and they received the rewards of their efforts through the awarding of a penalty in the 13th minute, as Leigertwood bundled over Tabb.

Ward, who had missed his last penalty in midweek, was almost denied again as a strong left hand by Cerny couldn't quite keep the ball from crossing the line to give the Sky Blues the lead.

Rangers could not get into their stride just yet. Another set play, this time a Daniel Fox free-kick, nearly reaped further benefits for the home side but the wall did its job and the ball flew out for a corner.

City continued to press and Eastwood returned the favour for Morrison after half an hour but the ex-Crystal Palace man could only get the faintest of touches as the ball flashed across the box.

The R's were slowly creeping their way back into the game and were determined to finish the half in the ascendancy.

And the equaliser could and probably should have been Ledesma's. Leigertwood played a delightful ball over the top for the Argentine to control, steady and frustratingly shoot straight at a grateful Westwood who had got down quickly.

Coventry then almost went up the other end to double their lead, when Morrison again escaped down the right and fizzed in a cross that Tabb guided goalwards. Cerny, however, was equal to it as he got down well and smothered the midfielder's header.

With that, the curtain fell on the first half with Rangers trailing by a goal.

This time it was Coventry who threatened first as Aron Gunnarson drilled a shot wide from 20 yards.

Peter Ramage, prowling the right hand side, delivered a beautiful cross minutes later that Rowlands managed to flick on at the near post, but before the charging Blackstock could poke it in, Ward's foot sent it wide.

From the resultant corner, Martin Rowlands' edge-of-the-box shot was charged down and the deflection fell to Damion Stewart, who lashed an effort over the Coventry bar.

Dowie rang the changes, introducing attacking midfielders Daniel Parejo and Buzsaky, the former for Ramage who had taken a knock.

And they almost paid dividends. Parejo's long pass found Cook on the left who controlled, danced passed first one, then two, cut into the box and took a shot, which hit a Coventry player, looped up and narrowly wide with Westwood well beaten.

Rowlands, Cook and Delaney all combined minutes later to present a glorious chance for Blackstock as the Irish full back crossed for the man in form to miss-hit his shot and it too, looped up and wide of Westwood's post.

With seconds remaining, Parejo took matters into his own hands, picking up on a loose ball and striding towards the opposition box before unleashing a rasping drive that so nearly found the back of the net, leaving a frustrated Dowie with his head in his hands.

Coventry City: Westwood, Fox, Ward, Dann, Doyle, Eastwood (Best 75), Gunnarsson, McKenzie (Mifsud 79), Osbourne, Morrison, Tabb (Beuzelin 84).

Subs: Marshall, Hall.

Goals: Ward (pen 13)

Bookings: Tabb (5), Doyle (42), Ward (57), Osbourne (77)

QPR: Cerny, Delaney, Stewart, Mahon, Liegertwood, Blackstock (Agyemang 76), Gorkss, Rowlands, Ramage (Parejo 56), Cook, Ledesma (Buzsaky 53).

Subs: Camp, Hall.

Bookings: Mahon (62)

Referee: Mr D Whitehouse

Attendance: 16, 718 (1,782)


Coventry City vs QPR
Coventry City Football Club
0 - 0
Queen's Park Rangers Football Club
Ricoh Arena

The Sky Blues beat QPR by a single goal to nil with Elliott Ward's first half penalty enough to earn City a thoroughly deserved three points.

Iain Dowie received an indifferent reaction from the Sky Blues fans on his first return to Coventry, the City faithful more concerned with seeing their side collect three points after two positive displays against Preston and Sheffield United.

Chris Coleman named an unchanged starting line-up and the Sky Blues started brightly. They could have taken an early lead when a Leon McKenzie cross led to a goalmouth melee but QPR cleared the danger. Jay Tabb was shown a yellow card in the seventh minute for a cynical challenge on Lee Cook before Elliott Ward headed into the side netting from a Danny Fox corner in a lively opening to the game.

Ward soon had a chance to make amends for his penalty miss on Tuesday when a push on Tabb led to a spot-kick being awarded to the Sky Blues and the centre-back duly converted to give City a 14th minute lead, despite keeper Radek Cerny getting a strong hand to his effort.

The Sky Blues continued to control the game, having successfully stifled the visitors' main attacking threats. They were also looking well capable of extending their lead - Freddy Eastwood whipping in a delightful cross on the half hour mark, which Clinton Morrison was just inches away from converting.

With just two minutes left in the half, the R's had a great opportunity to equalize when Emmanuel Ledesma broke the offside trap and raced through on goal but thankfully Keiren Westwood raced off his line to narrow the angles and saved well.

The Sky Blues maintained the upper hand at the beginning of the second period, pinning the visitors back and on 52 minutes Gunnarsson sent a low volley inches wide of the upright from 20 yards.

QPR made their first substitution on 53, Hungarian playmaker Akos Buzsaky replacing Ledesma and soon afterwards Dowie made an attacking switch, introducing midfielder Daniel Parejo for injured defender Peter Ramage.

As the game reached its climax, the Hoops really began to pressurise City and on 74 minutes, Dexter Blackstock came close to converting a low cross from Cook. But the Sky Blues were defending admirably, getting bodies behind the ball to frustrate their opponents.

Coleman introduced Leon Best for Eastwood with just over ten minutes remaining while Dowie made his final switch, bringing on Patrick Agyemang for Blackstock. Michael Mifsud then entered the fray for the Sky Blues, replacing Leon McKenzie.

With five left on the clock Guillaume Beuzelin came on for Jay Tabb to play a hold-up role in the middle of the park and City saw out time without any major worries to earn a thoroughly deserved free-kick and bring a tough week of fixtures to a very pleasing end. Coventry

Blog Archive