QPR Report Twitter Feed

Thursday, August 18, 2011

QPR Deal: Done and Dusted! - Tony Fernandes (and Associates) along with Amit Bhatia in...Amulya (Ground) Loan Assumed by Fernandes and Bhatia

-

-
- Throughout the day, the QPR Report Messageboard has news updates, comments and perspectives - even links to other board comments of interest re QPR matters (on and off the field) along with football (and ONLY football) topics in general....Also Follow: QPR REPORT ON TWITTER
____________________________________________________________________________________


QPR Official Site - EXCLUSIVE: FERNANDES SEALS TAKEOVER


Malaysian business tycoon Tony Fernandes CBE has completed his takeover of Queens Park Rangers Football Club.

Fernandes' company Tune Group have bought a majority stake in the Club, buying out previous majority shareholders Flavio Briatore and Bernie Ecclestone.

The 47 year-old founder of AirAsia, who is also the team principal of Formula One's Team Lotus, and his business partners, have a controlling stake of 66 per-cent and will work alongside the Mittal Family, who have retained their 33 per-cent stake.

Speaking exclusively to www.qpr.co.uk, Fernandes said: "I lived in Uxbridge Road for many years and grew up around the area.

"Everyone knows I've followed West Ham all my life, but I've always had a soft spot for QPR.

"Rangers were one of the first teams I watched as a child at Loftus Road."

Fernandes - who will take the role of Chairman of QPR Holdings Ltd and be joined on the board by joint Tune Group owner Mr Kamarudin Bin Meranun, one of Malaysia's most successful business tycoons -added: "The opportunity to get involved with the Club was mentioned to me by the previous owners and here I am.

"I've always wanted to be involved in football and the appeal of a London Club, like QPR, was too good an opportunity to turn down.

"It's funny how life has a way of spinning things round. It goes full circle sometimes.

"QPR is a raw diamond and hopefully I can contribute into turning it into a diamond."

Amit Bhatia, who will resume his position as Vice Chairman of the Club, told www.qpr.co.uk: "I'm very excited to welcome Tony to QPR and having spent considerable time with him, know that we share the same vision and values.

"We have discussed in great detail how to restore pride at the Club and I'm very pleased with the outcome of these discussions.

"It was a very difficult decision to resign from the board when I did, so I'm thrilled to be back and would like to thank all those who supported me and my family and look forward to serving the Club to the best of my abilities again.

"Tony and I will work alongside each other to try and make this season as exciting and successful as possible. I love this Club and this is a very happy day for me."

Fernandes added: "I have ambitions in the long term.

"I could easily say we're going to win the Champions League and the Premier League, but that's really not my style. I don't want to make big promises I can't guarantee.

"I want the fans to be proud of what we're doing and be involved as much as we can. The fans pay good money and are stakeholders, so whatever we do, I want the fans to be proud. We'll do it in style and with integrity.

"I'm keen to create a good Academy, so that there's a constant supply of players. We're in a fantastic part of London and we should be bringing kids through.

"The third aspect is to be a strong partner in the community and to make a difference in the community.

"Of course you don't go into anything in the sporting world and not want to be the best, but these things take time and I'd rather let the results speaks for themselves."

*The Club will be making no further comment at this stage. QPR


QPR Official Site - Fernandes "Soundbites" (Before the Press Conference!) - EXCLUSIVE: TONY TALKS

Soundbytes from our exclusive interview with QPR's new majority shareholder Tony Fernandes ...


*TF ... on Neil Warnock

"I feel very good about Neil. He has similarities to me.

"He's very impulsive. He says what he believes, without maybe thinking of the consequences sometimes, but I'm famous for that in my country.

"He's honest and transparent and a very excitable person.

"I love his passion and that word is key in my psyche.

"Money can get you so far, but passion can get you a lot, lot further.

"From what I've seen in my short time here, he has the passion and the hunger to make this a success.

"My gift is analysing people and there is something special with Neil."


*TF ... on transfer funds

"Without doubt there will be funds made available.

"It won't be crazy money though, because having watched football for a long, long time, I don't think our squad is too bad.

"We've got some special players. The front-line looks as strong as many in the Premier League.

"We need to strengthen and I've spoken to Neil. I think two or three good players could make a big difference.

"Neil will identify the players. He's living the dream and this has been his life for so long now.

"What I will do is give confidence that when he comes to me with a name and I'll say 'yeah, okay, let's try it.'

"I think he was shocked earlier this week when he mentioned some of the names and I backed him and said let's go for it.

"The first name I said to him he just laughed at me. Twenty-four hours later he rang me and said 'are you serious?'

"He came back and I said 'well, if we do it, save a chapter in your next book for this.'

"We're not going to spend £30 or £40 million but if a player is identified and he fits in, it's penny wise, pound foolish not to do it."


*TF ... on the short-term

"I'm excited and nervous.

"My ambition this year is just to stay up and build a good structure and solid foundation to grow for the future.

"Obviously there'll be nerves after 15 years away from the top-flight, but there's always up and downs and that's something I've lived with for all my business life."


*TF ... on the Mittal Family

"I think it will be a good relationship with the Mittal Family that we can build on over the years.

"I don't know them that well, but we share a common passion.

"They're very passionate. Amit is extremely passionate and that's why I wanted them to be involved.

"Money is easy, power is easy - passion is something that can't be bought.

"That attracted me more to the Club than anything else really, that the partner I'd be working with shared the same passion as me.

"I pride my whole life on passion. You've got to be passionate and love what you do - the rest becomes easier if you're hungry."


*TF ... on commitment to the cause

"Talk is easy, but I'm either zero or 100 per-cent and I am going to put my maximum into this.

"I'm very excited. Whether we win or lose, even if it's four or five one week, I'll still be there to the end.

"We all share the same common goal - and that's QPR."


*TF ... on the opening day defeat to Bolton

"I think the boys did fantastically against Bolton.

"Ninety-nine per-cent of people will probably say that's a tainted view, but for 45 minutes I thought we made Bolton look very ordinary.

"I'm encouraged by the squad we've got."


*TF ... on his ambitions

"I don't really want to talk about long-term ambitions.

"I could easily say we're going to win the Champions League and the Premier League, but that's really not my style.

"I have ambitions in the long term.

"I want the fans to be proud of what we're doing and be involved as much as we can. The fans pay good money and are stakeholders, so whatever we do, i want the fans to be proud. We'll do it in style and with integrity.

"I'm keen to create a good Academy, so that there's a constant supply of players. We're in a fantastic part of London and we should be bringing kids through.

"The third aspect is to be a strong partner in the community and to make a difference in the community.

"Of course you don't go into anything in the sporting world and not want to be the best, but these things take time and I'd rather let the results speaks for themselves than make big promises I can't guarantee."


*TF ... on sponsorship

"Sponsorship isn't a top priority to be honest.

"Obviously there's maybe a little bit of pride involved that we're the only Club without a sponsor, but we could get a sponsor tomorrow, but at what price?

"My top priority is to make sure we survive in the Premier League; to give the Manager and the management my support to go out there and do their best job without an overhang from any of the shareholders. And to create a development Academy for the future.

"If worse comes to worse, I'm sure I can persuade Air Asia or Malaysian Airlines to come on board and sponsor us!"


*TF ... on the Loftus Road loan

"The loan against Loftus Road is a shareholders loan. It's been transferred to me and the Mittal Family.

"It's nothing to worry about.
" QPR




Blog Archive